land line possible for our moorings

moggyjo

Featured Posts

BW have said that we can put in Land line on our moorings as long as they can see it is going to be done properly by the right people and we pay for it. The problem is out of the 12 boats here 3 of them are non residential and 2 of them are moored in part of the length where the electricity would be supplied. They have both had their boats moored here for many years, one of whom has never spent a night on the mooring, the other couple, do come down for a few weeks or so during the year and stay on the mooring.

Our dialemma is, so far my neighbour has spoken to the one that has never stayed on his boat and he is adamant that he does not want to move up 2 spaces to allow a residential to take advantage of power.

BW have said that they want us to sort this out ourselves.

We would like your views please.

This is a tempory measure untill BW develop the land by the moorings and at that time they are hoping to put electricity in, or carry on with it but it will be only for a certain stretch of the moorings where the development is going to take place

BW have said that we can put in Land line on our moorings as long as they can see it is going to be done properly by the right people and we pay for it. The problem is out of the 12 boats here 3 of them are non residential and 2 of them are moored in part of the length where the electricity would be supplied. They have both had their boats moored here for many years, one of whom has never spent a night on the mooring, the other couple, do come down for a few weeks or so during the year and stay on the mooring.

Our dialemma is, so far my neighbour has spoken to the one that has never stayed on his boat and he is adamant that he does not want to move up 2 spaces to allow a residential to take advantage of power.

BW have said that they want us to sort this out ourselves.

We would like your views please.

This is a tempory measure untill BW develop the land by the moorings and at that time they are hoping to put electricity in, or carry on with it but it will be only for a certain stretch of the moorings where the development is going to take place

Why will it stop someone getting power?

You could extend the cable past them to the other boats........its not rocket science.

Or you could even put power into all boats thats a novel idea

Julian

Why will it stop someone getting power?

You could extend the cable past them to the other boats........its not rocket science.

Or you could even put power into all boats thats a novel idea

Julian

Because BW will only allow a certain percentage of the mooring to have power, where the towpath would not need digging up and I don't think somehow that BW would like power cables running about 50 meters along the towpath past the boats that dont want it. Yea we could put power points to all the boats but why go to the expense of doing that to boats that don't want it and as I just said, it would not be all of the boats anyway.

Bribe them to move.....

As far as I know a Bw mooring permit only allows you to moor at that site and does not give the right to a particular section of the bank which may be of some help

or just untie them and move them yourself when they're not there.

Edited by Nige G

I can't wait to be rid of our landline :D Seriously though there are some very good deals on contract mobiles that would cost far less a month than a land line - isn't there?

Yes there are but unfortunatly would not power my TV etc :rolleyes:

I think that with H&S you will not be able to install electrical power across someone elses land to a distribution point. There will be a whole bunch of paperwork to submit beforehand and the contractors will have to be qualified to do the work. Nothing is simple anymore.

I think that with H&S you will not be able to install electrical power across someone elses land to a distribution point. There will be a whole bunch of paperwork to submit beforehand and the contractors will have to be qualified to do the work. Nothing is simple anymore.

We are lucky in that in our carpark there is a three phase electricity point and the person that is coming next week to do the quote is the same person that put the power line in Thrupp.

When we turned into a residential mooring in 1998, we could of had power put in then but there were to many against it at the time. Some of them moved round to Thrupp where they got mooring warden jobs and immediatly got electricity to their boats, so we have been waiting over 9 years for this opportunity, it will be so unfair if all the people on this mooring will not be able to get the option of having power because a couple of boats don't want to swap places with someone that would really benefit from it.

riots take the waiting out of wanting.

but then again , i dont see why others have to move just to fit in with your wants.

if he wont move when you ask nice then you will just have to get in his space next time he takes his boat out and then tell him to take it up with bw , they will only tell him what has already been stated , the space is not his ,he only pays mooring fee,s to be at the site not the space.

do you need electric more than a happy community at the moorings.

riots take the waiting out of wanting.

but then again , i dont see why others have to move just to fit in with your wants.

if he wont move when you ask nice then you will just have to get in his space next time he takes his boat out and then tell him to take it up with bw , they will only tell him what has already been stated , the space is not his ,he only pays mooring fee,s to be at the site not the space.

do you need electric more than a happy community at the moorings.

We are a happy community here, the person in question has rarely visited the site in recent years,I think in the last twelve months he has probably spent 2 hours here and that is more than likely an exageration. He lets friends of his come down and take the boat out for weeks at a time and thats it really.

You say that BW want this to sort it out yourselves. Do you have a moorings warden?

If not I suggest you select someone from amongst yourselves and make this known to all moorers and to BW. As far as I am aware this does not have to be a democratic decision as long as nobody on the moorings has any particular objection to that person acting as moorings warden. Ask BW to note that this person is now your moorings warden. Establish whether what you want regarding shore power is acceptable to the vast majority of moorers.

As far as I know, nobody on a BW mooring has a claim to any particular spot on a mooring as long as they can be provided with an alternative - we rent the right to moor our boats, not that specific piece of land, pontoon or water. Therefore BW and their wardens have every right to ask boats to move to different places to accomodate other sizes of boats, or other activity. We were recently told to move our boats temporarily because of dredging and the notice informed us that if we failed to move by the due date our boats would be moved for us. So as long as you have given reasonable notice, then moving somebody else's boat by rope or pole is perfectly acceptable.

Your warden should keep BW fully informed of what is happening at every step and also make the obdurate boat owners aware that he/she is now the warden and that their boats will be moved by a certain date, should they fail to move them themselves.

Edited by blackrose

We have just had a meeting 7 people there all want electric hookup, 3 more people were not there but am almost certain they will want it as well. As basically all the residentials want it, we think it is only fair to put hookups to all boats as when the non res boats move off, the residentials taking their place will probably want it themselves, but this will mean that the 2 non res will have to cough up with the rest of us and may not want to do this, the other option is to move them down to the end of the mooring and not take the power that far. either way, they are not going to be happy.

We have a mooring warden here, but this is not part of their responsabilities.

We have just had a meeting 7 people there all want electric hookup, 3 more people were not there but am almost certain they will want it as well. As basically all the residentials want it, we think it is only fair to put hookups to all boats as when the non res boats move off, the residentials taking their place will probably want it themselves, but this will mean that the 2 non res will have to cough up with the rest of us and may not want to do this, the other option is to move them down to the end of the mooring and not take the power that far. either way, they are not going to be happy.

We have a mooring warden here, but this is not part of their responsabilities.

The needs of the majority outweigh the needs of minority. I don't know how you will get the money from the minority unless their boats are moved and they don't have a service. Very difficult one this and also who has title to the installation?

The needs of the majority outweigh the needs of minority. I don't know how you will get the money from the minority unless their boats are moved and they don't have a service. Very difficult one this and also who has title to the installation?

The residential boats at the far end of the mooring have a huge long extended hose attached to the last tap on moorings, that they have quite a hike, to turn it on/ off, up our end we have taps between 2 boats BW have always concentrated on our end of the moorings even though they were extended at least 10 years ago. Bw said that when the development happens in a year 18 months time, they would only put power in as far as the old moorings are, this is why we want to get our installation in for as many as wants it and this is why we would like it if the people that dont want it or the cost move to the other end, which as I have said is only 2 non res boats. We will do the manual work ourselves let the professionals do their bit and split the cost.

I can see this all ending up in tears...

If you move the non res boats to a section of the moorings where there will be no hook up available, what happens when you take your boat off for a cruise and the non res boat owners decide they want to put their boats in "your" mooring spot? You'll come back to find you can't get moored next to the electricity supply that you paid for!!

I can see this all ending up in tears...

If you move the non res boats to a section of the moorings where there will be no hook up available, what happens when you take your boat off for a cruise and the non res boat owners decide they want to put their boats in "your" mooring spot? You'll come back to find you can't get moored next to the electricity supply that you paid for!!

Thing is Nige they are never here and we are :D

Is it possible for the 10 residents who wish to have electric to divide the total cost of 12 electric points between you. Then cap or seal someway the connection to the two who don't want to pay.

Those who don't want to pay now, may see a benefit in connecting in the future. At that point you charge a premium for the connection. Or, charge fees similar to Marinas etc.

I feel sure at some point in the future somebody will take the mooring who wants electric and you will recover your initial outlay + a few beers :D

How much is the total cost to supply the electric to the 12 moorings?

Thing is Nige they are never here and we are :D

Unfortunately, the Law of Sod says that as soon as you install electricity to only some of the moorings and go for a little cruise, they will be there and move onto the mooring you have just left to take advantage of the electricity supply!

The way I see it you have 3 options.

1. Wait until BW install services

2. Install services to all moorings and make everyone pay towards it

3. Install services to all moorings and split the cost between those who want it and make damn sure that they are key operated so the non payers have no access to them.

Unfortunately, the Law of Sod says that as soon as you install electricity to only some of the moorings and go for a little cruise, they will be there and move onto the mooring you have just left to take advantage of the electricity supply!

The way I see it you have 3 options.

1. Wait until BW install services

2. Install services to all moorings and make everyone pay towards it

3. Install services to all moorings and split the cost between those who want it and make damn sure that they are key operated so the non payers have no access to them.

I think it will be option 3. have just found out that the cable is at least £10 a ft :D

On second thoughts it seems to me that in telling you to sort it out yourselves, BW is negating its responsibility. It's their mooring after all, which I'm sure they charge you a lot of money for. Isn't it up to them to make a decision and then inform everyone what they intend to do?

Edited by blackrose