New liveaboard

purdey

Featured Posts

Hi, we are just through first three months of liveboard safely in marina until April, which we thought was sensible.

Have sorted our worktops, etc. taken out dinette, and stuck now as boat has bed in the centre which we now see is a bit weird. Where has all my STUFF gone?? I have to be even more ruthless. Cannot live without hairdryer as dogs also need one!! Also promised myself would try to keep up standards. Anyone any bright ideas for storage when bed is in centre and only half a wardrobe??? And, no, we cannot alter because too expensive to move woodburner, shelves etc from front to centre. Really good having galley next to cruiser back to act as galley slave to husband when we are moving. Also good to have seats, cratch next to cabin in good weather with doors open etc. and can sit at table on front. Sorry if the boaty terminology not any good. Husband in seventh heaven as his dream has been realised, he has a house with an engine. He is the one with experience, and I am not. Am trying hard though, and talk and take advice from whoever will talk to me.

Roll on better weather when we can do somemore work, no-one told me this boat would be a money pit!!!! Interesting to read all the stuff on this site. Where has all my STUFF gone????

Anyone any bright ideas for storage when bed is in centre and only half a wardrobe???

Get the bed as high as you can and make storage underneath?

If in centre you mean you can get down both sides then block one side off to make a hanging wardrobe.

And take everything very slowly - especially spending money on (more) things.

And my favourite saying for small home living; "inches count" - there's always a space that is exactly the right size for something.

It is important to keep sightlines and space clear to make the space seem larger. It is tempting to put cupboards up high but it can get overhanging and oppressive. Mirrors and shiny things.

Edited by Chris Pink

Our bed is a narrow double (not a cross bed), it's pretty high up so there is storage all the way under (as well as the hot water tank that's under there, I can fit 10 of those folding plastic crates). The wardrobe is actually a rail over the bed at the bottom end, with a curtain to hide the contents. Sounds weird but actually works. Above the bed is a false ceiling with more storage above it - you can fit stuff thats as tall as a shoebox. I've found canvas boxes with zip on lids from Ikea that fit the space perfectly. I can try and upload some pics if you like.

Edited by Lady Muck

Our bed is a narrow double (not a cross bed), it's pretty high up so there is storage all the way under (as well as the hot water tank that's under there, I can fit 10 of those folding plastic crates). The wardrobe is actually a rail over the bed at the bottom end, with a curtain to hide the contents. Sounds weird but actually works. Above the bed is a false ceiling with more storage above it - you can fit stuff thats as tall as a shoebox. I've found canvas boxes with zip on lids from Ikea that fit the space perfectly. I can try and upload some pics if you like.

Yes please. Thanks v much. Prob not very good at describing. Cruiser back then galley, then bathroom, then bed which is an ordinary double bed with two shallow drawers under and half wardrobe on bulkhead at foot, then saloon, then front/bow/cratch and table etc..... Bedroom has to stay where it is unfortunately. Going to Ikea this morning, feeling much more positive now. Sun is shining and storm over for now!!! We have only taken out half the dinette as storage under it needed at present, but would like to take out the rest and have hinged table thingy. Maybe I just should only have 5 pairs of jeans, 5 t shirts, etc.

I have a cupboard at the end of my bed over the bed that acts as a wardrobe... would love to see pictures of your set up though Lady M. My bedroom is as long as the bed, so it is difficult to work out how best to have things - love the idea of a false ceiling!

Hi to a fellow new boater

We moved on 'Emporer' on November 23rd, being told it would take 6 days to get to Ely, Cambs from Daventry. What a blooming joke that was!. We arrived in Ely on Christmas Eve after having a month of sheer hell, failed systems, lock closures, thick ice and finally had to wait 8 days for a high tide at Salters Lode.

I would now say that I have adjusted to being a liveaboard especially with regard to storage - if you haven't used it within the last couple of days, you don't really need it. If it doesn't fit, get a smaller one or get rid of it. With regard to clothes, you can really only wear one set at a time, one in the wash and one for spare. Sorted!!!

Good Luck with the storage and remember, everything will find a home eventually. <_<

Yes please. Thanks v much. Prob not very good at describing. Cruiser back then galley, then bathroom, then bed which is an ordinary double bed with two shallow drawers under and half wardrobe on bulkhead at foot, then saloon, then front/bow/cratch and table etc..... Bedroom has to stay where it is unfortunately. Going to Ikea this morning, feeling much more positive now. Sun is shining and storm over for now!!! We have only taken out half the dinette as storage under it needed at present, but would like to take out the rest and have hinged table thingy. Maybe I just should only have 5 pairs of jeans, 5 t shirts, etc.

If you're going to Ikea, then you might find their shoe tidies useful. Narrow enough to sit almost entirely under the gunwhales and good for CDs, DVDs or undies (!) as well as shoes! They do nice wooden ones as a unit or bargain plastic ones as a three pack that can be separated out - depending on what you like.

22887_PE089759_S4.jpg

I have a cupboard at the end of my bed over the bed that acts as a wardrobe... would love to see pictures of your set up though Lady M. My bedroom is as long as the bed, so it is difficult to work out how best to have things - love the idea of a false ceiling!

Thanks v much Emporer. Poor old you. We came on Nov 2nd from Milton Keynes to Warwickshire so avoided stoppages but thought I never wanted to see another lock as I am not used to them at all. My parents idea of a sunday drive was to go and peer into Foxton locks so maybe that is why I have no good memories!! I know I have to start again with the dumping of stuff, just need to get my head around it. It is really good to be able to contact folk in similar situation to us!!!!

FIVE pairs of jeans? What's wrong with two?

Yep, just clothing for 2 weeks for us, everything went down the charity shop except for my 1 and only suit which is kept at swmbo's mumsies ready for funerals,weddings and christenings

Edited to add.....when i converted our centre bed to a full width full length jobbie i raised it a few inches which gives ample storage space underneath of 5 crates of clothes a hoover and spare bedding

Edited by saltysplash

Thanks v much Emporer. Poor old you. We came on Nov 2nd from Milton Keynes to Warwickshire so avoided stoppages but thought I never wanted to see another lock as I am not used to them at all. My parents idea of a sunday drive was to go and peer into Foxton locks so maybe that is why I have no good memories!! I know I have to start again with the dumping of stuff, just need to get my head around it. It is really good to be able to contact folk in similar situation to us!!!!

[/qu

Two pairs of jeans def not enough.

We've opted to hang on to lots of clothing because we can't always get to a launderette. (Or we don't have enough money to pay for the launderette! <_< ) That way we have ample clothes even if we can only do the laundry once a month.

But we're blessed with more storage than you can shake an Imelda Markos at.

We've opted to hang on to lots of clothing because we can't always get to a launderette. (Or we don't have enough money to pay for the launderette! :rolleyes: ) That way we have ample clothes even if we can only do the laundry once a month.

But we're blessed with more storage than you can shake an Imelda Markos at.

What is your secret with storage o great one????