Cleaning an oily engine.

GBW

Featured Posts

The new engine is ready to be tested (at home) and the old one is sitting at the top of the drive awaiting cleaning.

It is oily.

What is the best method of removing all the gunge while avoiding divorce?

(If anyone is interested, a BMC 1.5 can be transported up right in the back of a Volvo V70.  Estimated weight is around 130 kg.)

14 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

Gunk or Jizer i used to use, spray on, work it in with a brush, hose off.

Ensuring you catch and dispose of all the nasty contaminated water for correct disposal at a licensed facility of course 😉

• Haha 2

image.png.50e5a4fded7e96ffd3a41eebda127890.png

Probably best to stand the engine on polythene sheet and use  some timbers around the edge and under the sheet to form a bund. Then use the degreaser with a brush . A roll of paper towels to mop up.

Thankfully the marina here provides good waste disposal facilities including bins /tanks for  items like used engine oil ,oily rags, oily water , removed fuel filters and oil filters . So responsible disposal is not a issue . 

If you are going to make a bund, put several bags of economy cat litter in once the engine is clean.  That will mop up easier than paper, be cheaper and simpler to handle for disposal.

N

Put it on a trailer and take it to your local garage with a steam cleaner, or a jet washing place.

Put bungs or rags in the air intake and any breathers/vents first.

Edited by David Mack

On 30/04/2024 at 10:02, David Mack said:

Put it on a trailer and take it to your local garage with a steam cleaner, or a jet washing place.

Put bungs or rags in the air intake and any breathers/vents first.

No trailer and no tow bar available to tow one!

(Removing it from the boat and loading into the car was an "experience").

Mr Muscle spray on oven cleaner works wonders albeit at a price. Best easily available commercial degreaser I’ve found  is actually one of the cheapest.  The No Nonsense possibly rebranded as Fortress at Screwfix. Cheap enough to use neat with a stiff brush. Get their set of three sash brushes while you’re there.  I use it on driveways prior to pressure washing and it’s not failed me yet.  Great stuff.