BMC 1800 oil volume and filter choice.

Mark R

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I've spend time looking over previous posts regarding oil filters for the BMC 1800 but am unsure if I have something a bit odd or not.

My current filter is a Rico RL3033 (https://ricoeurope.com/gb/spin-on-oil-filters/162-rl3033-5051154854129.html), when I go to the GSF website to try and find a replacement I'm really struggling. They stock Mann filters, would any of you wise folk be able to point me in the right direction? I've been to Calcutt's website and that suggests a Crosslands 357 yet the Rico filter I've had on my boat doesn't seem to share compatibility according to their list of replacements.

Edit: After a bit more research I think the Mann W916/1 might be correct.

Also, what approximate quantity of oil is needed when refilling. My dipstick showed in the middle of  max and min yet I only got about 2.5 litres out, that seems really low to me.

Edit: Just found a handbook and can see that it should be around 4.68 litres of oil, I'm not sure how my dipstick would be so far out!

Mark

Edited by Mark R

1 hour ago, Mark R said:

Also, what approximate quantity of oil is needed when refilling. My dipstick showed in between max and min yet I only got about 3.5 litres out, that seems really low to me.

That’s about what I get out using the pump, and yes, it always surprises me how little it is,

I’m not wise, and I buy any filter compatible that I can find, there’s lots and lots to choose from,

I’d simply ring the local garage and ask for an oil filter for a BMC 1800, 

Edited by beerbeerbeerbeerbeer
  • Greenie 1

7 hours ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

That’s about what I get out using the pump, and yes, it always surprises me how little it is,

I’m not wise, and I buy any filter compatible that I can find, there’s lots and lots to choose from,

I’d simply ring the local garage and ask for an oil filter for a BMC 1800, 

Cheers Beer, I assume you only top up with the same amount of oil that you took out? I actually only got 2.5 litres of oil out, no more pumps out.

32 minutes ago, Mark R said:

Cheers Beer, I assume you only top up with the same amount of oil that you took out? I actually only got 2.5 litres of oil out, no more pumps out.

No, you top up to no more than the max mark on the dipstick, run the engine at fast idle and check the filter for leaks, stop the engine and have a cup of tea, then top up again to replace what has gone to fill the filter. It is never wise to overfill a diesel, and in a very bad case the engine might run away and destroy itself.

Be a bit wary with filters. I used Mann but it seems many car part places have listed and supply a smaller one for vehicles. They fit the same, but are just smaller so would clog sooner than the larger one, so its bypass valve pens and passes unfiltered oil around the engine.  Just something to be aware of, especially if you are a bit slack on filter change intervals.

The second site Momac linked to would give dimensions.

I don't know about the 1.8, but the 1.5 had two different capacity sumps fitted so the amount of oil used varied.

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

No, you top up to no more than the max mark on the dipstick, run the engine at fast idle and check the filter for leaks, stop the engine and have a cup of tea, then top up again to replace what has gone to fill the filter. It is never wise to overfill a diesel, and in a very bad case the engine might run away and destroy itself.

Be a bit wary with filters. I used Mann but it seems many car part places have listed and supply a smaller one for vehicles. They fit the same, but are just smaller so would clog sooner than the larger one, so its bypass valve pens and passes unfiltered oil around the engine.  Just something to be aware of, especially if you are a bit slack on filter change intervals.

The second site Momac linked to would give dimensions.

I don't know about the 1.8, but the 1.5 had two different capacity sumps fitted so the amount of oil used varied.

As ever Tony, appreciate your advice!

10 hours ago, Mark R said:

After a bit more research I think the Mann W916/1 might be correct

yes, Ive also used  FT4826 and RL 3033,

moving around I tend to have to buy what I can get a hold of, the RL 3033’s were from Calcutt,

Im trying NAPA NF03008 at moment which are Ukrainian 🇺🇦 

I suggested a local garage because they might supply the same item at a fraction of the cost a marina will charge, and have it delivered in on same day if you’re early enough.

1 hour ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

yes, Ive also used  FT4826 and RL 3033,

moving around I tend to have to buy what I can get a hold of, the RL 3033’s were from Calcutt,

Im trying NAPA NF03008 at moment which are Ukrainian 🇺🇦 

I suggested a local garage because they might supply the same item at a fraction of the cost a marina will charge, and have it delivered in on same day if you’re early enough.

Thanks Beer!

Calcutt stock filters for the BMC1.6 engine

https://calcuttboatsshop.com/epages/c3a6cb0f-3e0f-4132-9636-974f7502e04d.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/c3a6cb0f-3e0f-4132-9636-974f7502e04d/Products/LU357

Edited to add:-  I found that the cheapest place to purchase BMC oil filters was the local Agricultural Merchants. I used to buy both oil and fuel filters for my BMC 1.5 in bulk, and got trade discount, which made them about a quarter of the cost from the local Chandleries.

Edited by David Schweizer

BMC 1.8D  sump oil capacity including filter was quoted as 8.24 pints which is 4.68 litres. I use 5 litre cans and save a little for topping up later.

But there are 3 designs of sump with differing capacities.

Unless you have a very odd or very damaged sump, you are not getting all the old oil out.

Have you tried draining from the sump drain plug rather than pumping (presumably by sucking from the dipstick tube) which may not be emptying the sump?

Your dipstick could be wrong or the tube in which it sits could be the wrong length, I have seen many that have been changed.

How long is your dipstick from the full mark to the top of the tube when it is installed?

Your Mann, Fram and Crosland numbers for the filter are correct. There are many equivalent filters.

4 hours ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

So true, but as long as you know the filter numbers, bargains can be had from boatyards. I needed a new filter for the Bukh while we were on our summer cruise so I called in at a well respected yard not far from Fradley Junction and asked if they had one - they did at a price. I then say they also had a BMC1.8 one that was far cheaper. Knowing both engines use the same filter, guess which one I bought. The Bukh one was in Bukh branded box, while the 1.8 one was a generic Fram filter.

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

So true, but as long as you know the filter numbers, bargains can be had from boatyards. I needed a new filter for the Bukh while we were on our summer cruise so I called in at a well respected yard not far from Fradley Junction and asked if they had one - they did at a price. I then say they also had a BMC1.8 one that was far cheaper. Knowing both engines use the same filter, guess which one I bought. The Bukh one was in Bukh branded box, while the 1.8 one was a generic Fram filter.

I never buy anything from a marina or chandlers unless I cannot find the item elsewhere. I do not begrudge them a profit but most prices are just cheeky and extortionate. I buy filters for popular engines in 10s from trade auto outlets like The Green Sparkplug Co in Middlewich where you get great service and sensible prices.  

Regarding oil quantity. How are you pumping it out? If it's some type of stirrup pump where does it pick the oil from? When I had one fitted to my 1.8 D it screwed into the drain plug tapping. I 'converted' to a Pela which using a thin probe  which reached down to the bottom of the sump. (some fiddling and twiddling was necessary. Allowing for the oil filter I used get a good 4.25litres out.

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I never buy anything from a marina or chandlers unless I cannot find the item elsewhere. I do not begrudge them a profit but most prices are just cheeky and extortionate. I buy filters for popular engines in 10s from trade auto outlets like The Green Sparkplug Co in Middlewich where you get great service and sensible prices.  

Me neither, but this was when my local motor factors started supplying the smaller filter, which I thought was a bad idea for a boat engine.

Then they stopped supplying the elements for the "frying pan" air filters. In the end, the only place I could rely on having one in stock was Lemco in Banbury, they told me that they stocked them especially for the local marine trade.

Edited by Tony Brooks

With buying my oil at the Farm Supplies in Penkridge for £16 I save £10-£16 than if buying the same 5L oil from a yard/marina,

The most I’ve spent on a filter was £19 at a marina, cheapest has been £6 from Turner’s on the Shroppie,

Like others I don’t begrudge the marinas making money and I’m not looking for cheap inferior products,

but if I can do an oil change for £22 instead of the best part of £50 then I’m inclined to do more regular oil and filter changes,

admittedly the filters I’ve just bought are the shorter type,

4 hours ago, Slim said:

How are you pumping it out? If it's some type of stirrup pump where does it pick the oil from? When I had one fitted to my 1.8 D it screwed into the drain plug tapping.

My pump goes to drain plug,

Sounds daft but I do wonder how much a list or the bow being high will keep the oil to one-side or at back off sump away from the hole,

could it be enough to stop the last pint or so from draining?

Edited by beerbeerbeerbeerbeer

If you cut up a used filter, 99 times out of 100 you will find not much in it other than oil. I would have no qualms using the smaller filters providing they are changed every oil change.

Even then I reckon you could use them twice as I always do with the larger cans. Besides it probably filters better with a bit of sediment closing the paper pores.

I always have a neodymium magnet on the can to trap steel dust. Perhaps it does nothing but it costs nothing either.

Edited by Tracy D'arth