Hampton Court: Man jailed for 12 years over £3.5m houseboat fraud

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Shame that the BBC picture is of legally moored houseboats and not where the the illegall ones were

Presumably those illegally moored houseboats would have been removed now.

33 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Shame that the BBC picture is of legally moored houseboats and not where the the illegall ones were

The picture is issued by the CPS, and the caption says "The CPS says this area of the River Thames is where Djurberg fraudulently sold houseboats and moorings" which seems fair enough.

I'm doing an inspection tour on the launch this week so will be able to report on this matter. After these winter floods Maidenhead to Teddington in the launch should prove quite interesting.

Last time I was there the old Djurberg structures were still in place with fewer Boats. Maybe it has all been taken out now. I somehow doubt it but will be interesting to see. 

The aerial image is wrong. 

12 (9) yars in jail means there was something else happening maybe he was a nonce or something. Nobody is going to do time for selling fraudulent houseboats ? 

The aerial image is wrong ;)

This is the correct google maps satellite view not sure of the date. 

IMG_20240327_200123.jpg.fb1dde01dac8c694cd3c12ccd07a2005.jpg

(screen shot of google maps taken by me 8.02pm 27MAR24)

The dodgy geyser also had a very nice dutch barge moored at the bottom left of the image on a pontoon which extended away parallel with the riverbank. It was a really good one. Not just a dutch barge but a proper nice classy dutch barge. 

Real nice one. The type one rarely sees over here. 

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

I'm doing an inspection tour on the launch this week so will be able to report on this matter. After these winter floods Maidenhead to Teddington in the launch should prove quite interesting.

Last time I was there the old Djurberg structures were still in place with fewer Boats. Maybe it has all been taken out now. I somehow doubt it but will be interesting to see. 

The aerial image is wrong. 

12 (9) yars in jail means there was something else happening maybe he was a nonce or something. Nobody is going to do time for selling fraudulent houseboats ? 

The aerial image is wrong ;)

This is the correct google maps satellite view not sure of the date. 

IMG_20240327_200123.jpg.fb1dde01dac8c694cd3c12ccd07a2005.jpg

(screen shot of google maps taken by me 8.02pm 27MAR24)

The dodgy geyser also had a very nice dutch barge moored at the bottom left of the image on a pontoon which extended away parallel with the riverbank. It was a really good one. Not just a dutch barge but a proper nice classy dutch barge. 

Real nice one. The type one rarely sees over here. 

The BBC picture looked like the entrance to the basin which was built on Taggs Island which is close to opposite the Hucks Boatyard which is where this geyser operated from

The BBC image confused me because the river is flowing from right to left as if it's a mirror of what one sees on Googly maps, but, yes, @magnetman has nailed the location of the non-legitimate moorings.

A bugger for the people caught up in it, I doubt that those moorings would have been cheap.

12 hours ago, magnetman said:

The river is still in spate, but I guess you know that and it isn't a stream that would bother a competent vessel/crew

Yes I know. I take the launch out in all conditions provided the River is not getting near peoples houses. 

Having said that the River has a lot more water in it than yesterday so I may not bother with the full length cruise this week. Maidenhead to Teddington always a good run. 

Looks like the easter weekend is going to be quiet as there will be red boards everywhere I reckon. 

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 1

With the proviso this must be very upsetting for those involved and I hope it is all sorted, some people do seem easy to part from money. If I spend £lots on a property or similar I am very keen to get the legal side well checked over by others more qualified than me. Twice now it has saved me considerable pain and expense. It's never good to receive a phone call saying "stop everything there is a problem" but better that than the alternative. Perhaps I am over cautious, but so far it's served me well.

• Greenie 1

When buying land, one usually employs a solicitor to handle the conveyance and registration. Not so with boats, often handled by the broker who is just the agent of the vendor, on protection for you there. Who would put their trust in an Estate Agent, it's the wild west out there, Caveat Emptor.