Is this really a free off-grid mooring? Who adminsters estuaries more generally?

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I was intrigued by this Facebook Marketplace advert for a converted tugboat situated in Askam in Furness on the estuary. The advert claims that there is no council tax due and no mooring fees due to "its unique location in the Dudden Estuary".

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1492296838302245/?referralSurface=messenger_lightspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner

No council tax I understand. But having a completely free mooring on the edge of the Lake District (even completely off grid) seems very inviting.

I'm vaguely aware that river beds, coasts, beaches (?) are owned by the Crown, but would you then have to obtain permission to moor a boat here? Would it be on the discretion of whoever is making that decision? And who would you even ask?

Any insights would be appreciated!

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 11-44-37 Marketplace – 1905 Converted Tugboat tugboat Facebook.png

19 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I wonder if the Boat is beneaped. 

Seems probable given the green and verdant nature of the surrounding land. Also that ladder!

You will have to maintain your mooring tackle, lest you are swept ashore in a storm, have to take your dinghy ashore for food fuel and water, in all weather and states of tide. The West Coast can get a fair old battering.

Edited by Peanut

Putting a Boat on the bottom during a tidal surge is certainly an interesting little loophole to have a look at. 

I would not touch it with a largepole as a second hand craft but if it were my own Boat and I was constrained as to where to put it I might well consider it. 

IMG_20240327_112139.jpg.69efb97fdcca772b30a4c46d4140b550.jpg

Part of the reason it is interesting is that there would be few options if it needed to be taken away. Yes I suppose it could just be cut up over time and transported but as there is no vehicle access or water access it would be quite an arduous task to complete. 

Interesting one. 

1 hour ago, Peanut said:

You will have to maintain your mooring tackle, lest you are swept ashore in a storm, have to take your dinghy ashore for food fuel and water, in all weather and states of tide. The West Coast can get a fair old battering.

I think this one sees water come up to the hull very infrequently. It looks like it's sat on a saltmarsh that's rarely submerged.

15 minutes ago, MtB said:

Must be tricky carrying a full cassette down that ladder!

Or perhaps they just......

Ad says compost. 

I met someone once who had a compôte lavatory. They kept the waste in yogurt pots.