GI status

blackrose

Featured Posts

I think there are a few others here who have the same GI. I know the status of mine is still within normal limits but I just wondered if others who have this GI see the same sorts of readings?

I can't actually remember the brand, but I bought it from Aquafax and others who have the same GI will recognise it.

I'm sure the needle on mine was just off centre and wasn't quite as far over to the right a few months ago.

IMG_20240326_155753.jpg

Edited by blackrose

13 hours ago, blackrose said:

Yes perhaps. I'll test it with my multimeter over the weekend.

If only you had bought one without the meter. You wouldn't have to worry then

14 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

It's only halfway to an arbitrary 'fail' line.

Perhaps it's just indicating a completely normal and benign phenomenon?

At present....

That type of meter isn't the most precision piece of kit. It could be that the centring has been disturbed. With everything off and shore line disconnected, does it go to zero? The screw head at the base of the needle can adjust. Not knowing what the meter is across, it's hard to tell.

If I remember right, galvanic isolators are at their most basic, two diodes in series, so there should be no more than a 1.2 to 1.4V across them, before they conduct and pass the excess voltage to the shore earth. This ties in nicely with the "fail" regions, plus and minus zero.

Posted (edited)
On 27/03/2024 at 09:56, Jen-in-Wellies said:

With everything off and shore line disconnected, does it go to zero? 

Yes it does.

I tested it today with the shore line disconnected and the GI disconnected from the boat. 

Using the diode setting on my GI the readings were .889 & .847 going across the GI terminals in both directions. That's within a 10% difference so it looks like the diodes themselves are ok.

I'm wondering if I can do another test to check the diodes go into circuit. Can I just put a 9v battery across the terminals to check the gauge goes right over to its maximum?

Edited by blackrose

Having the meter move a bit when you connect shore power is a good thing - shows it’s working! The deflection there does seem quite a bit, but it is a feature of your shore power earth. The GI is doing its job preventing lots of earth current flowing!

The normal way of testing the thing is to use a 9v bulb in series with the battery and GI. Bulb should illuminate both ways. If you just put a battery across it, the needle may go full deflection, or close to it, regardless of whether the diodes are conducting or not.