Shower cubicle

Featured Posts

32 minutes ago, Dobba said:

I fit my bathroom last year and mine is marine MDF (I believe - it's MDF at least I know) on a new build boat which is painted a cream colour (Collingwood Sailaway lined). Been no problem so far. If it's undercoated and painted, especially with something like kitchen and bathroom paint you'll be fine. Just use a belt and braces approach to the shower enclosure and make sure that's water sealed against leaks. Far more important. 🙂

Thats interesting as I can find no references to a 'marine' grade of MDF, which by its very constructions would be unlikely anyway.

Do you have any details of it ?

Waterproofing

One of the main benefits of marine plywood is of course that it is virtually 100% waterproof. This is not something that can be said for medium-density fiberboard, which really isn’t water resistant at all. Marine plywood is great to use outdoors, whereas MDF is not.

On that note, marine plywood is not going to absorb water, and therefore won’t shrink, crack, or crumble due to water absorption, which is not at all the case for MDF.

MDF vs. Marine Plywood: Which Should You Use?

When it comes down to it, if you are looking for durability, longevity, and waterproofing, it’s always marine plywood that you want to use. This is especially the case for any outdoor purposes.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

27 minutes ago, Dobba said:

I fit my bathroom last year and mine is marine MDF (I believe - it's MDF at least I know) on a new build boat which is painted a cream colour (Collingwood Sailaway lined). Been no problem so far. If it's undercoated and painted, especially with something like kitchen and bathroom paint you'll be fine. Just use a belt and braces approach to the shower enclosure and make sure that's water sealed against leaks. Far more important. 🙂

Not aware of marine MDF. There is a green MDF that is for moist environments but I’d still never use it as there are much better options available. That said for decades people have tiled over plasterboard which is utterly useless when it gets wet.  Trick is not to let it get wet of course. 

Pics attached are what happens if you let water get through.  Yes. That’s the neighbours apartment ceiling and the structural joists you can see through that hole where the floor used to be  😂

IMG_9648.jpeg.cbeda011a52863522944315e74428332.jpegIMG_9650.jpeg.d6ce11081273ad356c5266cd781ec788.jpegIMG_9649.jpeg.d7fd5260e20c7682789aad91aa9b2ca2.jpeg

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Thats interesting as I can find no references to a 'marine' grade of MDF, which by its very constructions would be unlikely anyway.

Do you have any details of it ?

Waterproofing

One of the main benefits of marine plywood is of course that it is virtually 100% waterproof. This is not something that can be said for medium-density fiberboard, which really isn’t water resistant at all. Marine plywood is great to use outdoors, whereas MDF is not.

On that note, marine plywood is not going to absorb water, and therefore won’t shrink, crack, or crumble due to water absorption, which is not at all the case for MDF.

MDF vs. Marine Plywood: Which Should You Use?

When it comes down to it, if you are looking for durability, longevity, and waterproofing, it’s always marine plywood that you want to use. This is especially the case for any outdoor purposes.

Perhaps I'm thinking Moisture Resistant MDF or exterior MDF, not marine grade.

2 minutes ago, Dobba said:

Perhaps I'm thinking Moisture Resistant MDF or exterior MDF, not marine grade.

Moisture resistant is the green stuff.  It’s still not great and certainly not for exteriors or shower enclosures. WBP / marine ply is fine.  Far better to use one of the modern waterproof systems like Wedi. When we build clients bathrooms we treat walls and floors as if it’s a wet room even though 99% aren’t. Peace of mind, though expensive. 

29 minutes ago, truckcab79 said:

Moisture resistant is the green stuff.  It’s still not great and certainly not for exteriors or shower enclosures. WBP / marine ply is fine.  Far better to use one of the modern waterproof systems like Wedi. When we build clients bathrooms we treat walls and floors as if it’s a wet room even though 99% aren’t. Peace of mind, though expensive. 

It's only the ceiling of the entire boat in that - the shower enclosure is plywood base and walls, then a surface preparation solution that seals the plywood (forget the name), then concrete tile boards, then tanking solution with tape on all the gaps, then tiled. Possibly a similar way to how you do it and no, not cheap but worth it for the peace of mind and longevity. 🙂

I have used MDF on my ceiling and bits that have laid around in the yard outside look to be a lot more stable than ply, but I only fitted it 25 years ago so its not had much of a test yet. The only problem I have found is if you want to fix anything to it .

12 minutes ago, Dobba said:

It's only the ceiling of the entire boat in that - the shower enclosure is plywood base and walls, then a surface preparation solution that seals the plywood (forget the name), then concrete tile boards, then tanking solution with tape on all the gaps, then tiled. Possibly a similar way to how you do it and no, not cheap but worth it for the peace of mind and longevity. 🙂

Yep.  That’ll stand up to anything.  Tanking solution is key. We use Wedi board AND tank it. Pointless overkill really but not much extra spent, clients like to see the extra effort, and you can never be too waterproof. 😂 I’ll do similar in our boat. Wedi do a nice thin 6mm board which although it’s a bit flexible so needs extra support gives a few mm extra space.  Important if your shower is as small

as ours. 😂

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

I have used MDF on my ceiling and bits that have laid around in the yard outside look to be a lot more stable than ply, but I only fitted it 25 years ago so its not had much of a test yet. The only problem I have found is if you want to fix anything to it .

it’ll be fine if it doesn’t get wet.  Slightest moisture and it expands  

12 minutes ago, truckcab79 said:

it’ll be fine if it doesn’t get wet.  Slightest moisture and it expands  

13 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

You didn't read what I wrote did you.

Read it exactly thanks. Presumably the stuff in your yard didn’t get wet and nor did the stuff in your boat.  If it got wet and isn’t fricked then it’s not MDF.  It’s definitely not ‘more stable than ply’. 😂

Edited by magpie patrick
to remove swear word

1 hour ago, truckcab79 said:

Read it exactly thanks. Presumably the stuff in your yard didn’t get wet and nor did the stuff in your boat.  If it got wet and isn’t fricked then it’s not MDF.  It’s definitely not ‘more stable than ply’. 😂

It definitely is MDF, its been absolutely soaked but you know best what I have got. I will leave it at that

Edited by magpie patrick
to remove swear word in quote

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

It definitely is MDF, its been absolutely soaked but you know best what I have got. I will leave it at that

😂😂😂. Probably best. 

Keep it between us though. If the ply industry finds out about your magic MDF you’ll be on their hit list. 
😉 🤫 

2 hours ago, truckcab79 said:

Not all MDF which is waterproof is the same Grasshopper. 😁Screenshot_20240326_153418_com.google.android_apps.docs_edit_501376393126096.thumb.jpg.af618a094ca9636f2c9964eb4ff8a878.jpgScreenshot_20240326_153333_com.android.chrome_edit_501361707249015.thumb.jpg.6b547dab1f9976171b09869bf4ecc8af.jpg

10 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Not all MDF which is waterproof is the same Grasshopper. 😁Screenshot_20240326_153418_com.google.android_apps.docs_edit_501376393126096.thumb.jpg.af618a094ca9636f2c9964eb4ff8a878.jpgScreenshot_20240326_153333_com.android.chrome_edit_501361707249015.thumb.jpg.6b547dab1f9976171b09869bf4ecc8af.jpg

🙄. There’s always one.    I’ve already mentioned water resistant MDF and other waterproof options.  They’re out there but for the benefit of anyone less knowledgeable reading this forum for info it’s daft to state that ‘MDF’ can be soaked without harm and that it’s more stable than ply. For the products that Jo Bloggs is going to find at his local builders yard it’s just wrong.

Hope you didn’t spend too long trying to find that to make a worthless and unhelpful point just to confuse people further  🙄

Basically for anyone reading this use WBP / marine ply as a default and if you want to investigate more technical products then there are plenty out there and Google and a fat wallet are your friends.  Just because some bod on a forum tells you ‘MDF’ is waterproof doesn’t make it true and you’ll find out later to your cost and disappointment.  

Just now, truckcab79 said:

Just because some bod on a forum tells you ‘MDF’ is waterproof doesn’t make it true and you’ll find out later to your cost and disappointment.  

Or .....................

Just because some bod on a forum tells you ‘MDF’ isn't waterproof doesn’t make it true and you’ll find out later to your cost and disappointment.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Or .....................

Just because some bod on a forum tells you ‘MDF’ isn't waterproof doesn’t make it true and you’ll find out later to your cost and disappointment.

Some bods have been around a long time grasshopper.

So all we learn here is that a couple of the usual forum pedants would rather trot out a load of nonsense to ‘prove’ a point than provide any genuine useful information. 

Would love to see how much MDF is on your boats. There certainly won’t be any on mine. 😂👍

42 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Some bods have been around a long time grasshopper.

Time doesn’t teach people anything.  A great misnomer generally peddled by old buggers with more self-importance than knowledge . 😂

Edited by truckcab79

23 minutes ago, truckcab79 said:

So all we learn here is that a couple of the usual forum pedants would rather trot out a load of nonsense to ‘prove’ a point than provide any genuine useful information. 

Would love to see how much MDF is on your boats. They’re more certainly won’t be any on mine. 😂👍

Time doesn’t teach people anything.  A great misnomer generally peddled by old buggers with more self-importance than knowledge . 😂

Try wax on wax off for a minute grasshopper. Have you used any of the medite which l put the link up. Or even read the spec. Not saying use it in yours or anyone else's boat. I've used it so can voucher for it being more than adequate for outside use open to all elements. For you to just blanket the use of all so called waterproof MDF as no good is what I was responding to. So just wind your neck in from between your arse cheeks for a minute if can. I think it was another old bod to use your words which pointed you to a new product you new nothing about regarding wall panels. 

Edited by Jon57
Addition
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Try wax on wax off for a minute grasshopper. Have you used any of the medite which l put the link up. Or even read the spec. Not saying use it in yours or anyone else's boat. I've used it so can voucher for it being more than adequate for outside use open to all elements. For you to just blanket the use of all so called waterproof MDF as no good is what I was responding to. So just wind your neck in from between your arse cheeks for a minute if can. I think it was another old bod to use your words which pointed you to a new product you knew nothing about regarding wall panels. 

🥱

1 hour ago, truckcab79 said:

🙄. There’s always one.    I’ve already mentioned water resistant MDF and other waterproof options.  They’re out there but for the benefit of anyone less knowledgeable reading this forum for info it’s daft to state that ‘MDF’ can be soaked without harm and that it’s more stable than ply. For the products that Jo Bloggs is going to find at his local builders yard it’s just wrong.

Hope you didn’t spend too long trying to find that to make a worthless and unhelpful point just to confuse people further  🙄

Basically for anyone reading this use WBP / marine ply as a default and if you want to investigate more technical products then there are plenty out there and Google and a fat wallet are your friends.  Just because some bod on a forum tells you ‘MDF’ is waterproof doesn’t make it true and you’ll find out later to your cost and disappointment.  

Well it does rather prove I am not telling lies that I felt was being suggested earlier 

• Greenie 2

11 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well it does rather prove I am not telling lies that I felt was being suggested earlier 

Proves nothing other than labouring a point that is misleading to people looking for useful info.  MDF in general is the least appropriate material for anywhere near moisture.  The fact that it’s possible to find exceptions is like me claiming birds can’t fly and then producing a penguin as proof. 😂

Still….another possibly useful thread hijacked by pedantry by people who can’t be wrong. Well done chaps. Keep it up.  👍

5 minutes ago, truckcab79 said:

Proves nothing other than labouring a point that is misleading to people looking for useful info.  MDF in general is the least appropriate material for anywhere near moisture.  The fact that it’s possible to find exceptions is like me claiming birds can’t fly and then producing a penguin as proof. 😂

Still….another possibly useful thread hijacked by pedantry by people who can’t be wrong. Well done chaps. Keep it up.  👍

Are you Ian D love child by any chance. 😁

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Are you Ian D love child by any chance. 😁

No idea what that means but it sounds like a pointless comment to me.  Just trying to add something useful to the forum when I can. Unfortunately there’s a handful of ‘regulars’ whose only purpose seems to answer everything regardless of any knowledge and to spiral every thread into nonsense. Ah well.  It’s a hobby I suppose. 😂

2 minutes ago, truckcab79 said:

No idea what that means but it sounds like a pointless comment to me.  Just trying to add something useful to the forum when I can. Unfortunately there’s a handful of ‘regulars’ whose only purpose seems to answer everything regardless of any knowledge and to spiral every thread into nonsense. Ah well.  It’s a hobby I suppose. 😂

Can you give me some examples of threads what I have derailed please. Or is this another one of your generalisation.