Caldon canal

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, noddyboater said:

It wasn't great last Autumn. 

We made an effort to get there - in the dark, to be told they were now closed, despite the fact that the locals carried on being served in the marquee area for another hour. It was 8pm on a Saturday evening.

There was no seating inside the pub, but apparently if you check on Facebook they do occasionally do basic food, burgers etc.

It was closed the following Monday but we did find the landlord happily supporting the other "Lion" at Cheddleton!

The pub at Froghall station had very recently reopened, the new owners were enthusiastic but we couldn't help wondering about the choice of decor, considering the customers they're likely to get from the station.

That's a shame, it used to be great. Wonder if it'll ever get back to how it was? 😞

2 minutes ago, IanD said:

That's a shame, it used to be great. Wonder if it'll ever get back to how it was? 😞

Hopefully it's better by now, but he didn't appear to be in a rush regarding the refurbishment. I'd guess the insurance hasn't paid up yet.

I wouldn't let it put you off a trip though, the other excellent pubs more than make up for it.

Re. moorings before Engine lock... I decided to brave a night in Hanley park a few years back, it was fine. Ok, my other half was convinced some local drug dealers were trying to steal our greyhound, but she does exaggerate sometimes.

With the recent restoration work they've done recently it's a shame it's not a more popular spot.

19 hours ago, IanD said:

The Black Lion at Consall Forge used to be absolutely splended, chickens and all, but they had a bad fire a couple of years back and AFAIK have not completely reopened, at least for the excellent food they used to do as well -- I presume the beer is as good as ever, anyone been recently to confirm what it's like now?

@IanD I have been to The Black Lion within the past month or so. The pub is trading and does not have a full food menu but it does a small amount of hot/cold food. The insurers paid out for the fire but as usual not the full amount so Jason is having to fund some repairs himself including kitchen refurb and inside toilets (gents have to use the outside toilet at present). Maybe we could start crowd funding for him? Has several beers on the go, which change regularly, and is what I also like about a pub - you don't have to drink the same beer as every other pub.

20 hours ago, StephenA said:

Leek isn't a bad place either - short hike from the canal but some good pubs, and you have to go through the other mad tunnel on the canal to get to it

1049-4258.jpg

There is a nice mooring spot at The Pool by the entrance going towards Leek.

17 hours ago, noddyboater said:

Hopefully it's better by now, but he didn't appear to be in a rush regarding the refurbishment. I'd guess the insurance hasn't paid up yet.

I wouldn't let it put you off a trip though, the other excellent pubs more than make up for it.

Re. moorings before Engine lock... I decided to brave a night in Hanley park a few years back, it was fine. Ok, my other half was convinced some local drug dealers were trying to steal our greyhound, but she does exaggerate sometimes.

With the recent restoration work they've done recently it's a shame it's not a more popular spot.

It won't put me off, it's just that last time we did the Caldon we were only intending to stay at the Black Lion overnight but for some reason our departure got delayed by a day... 😉 

Edited by IanD

I had an unfortunate situation a couple of years ago where I was working on the canal and based half way between the Boat at Basford, and the Lion at Consall forge.

Bloody awful job that was!  

The Boat had just changed hands, the new tennants were confident of it being a success. They were still there last October so must be doing something right.

2 hours ago, JoeC said:

Has several beers on the go, which change regularly

perfect!

food’s never the issue, 

23 hours ago, StephenA said:

Leek isn't a bad place either - short hike from the canal but some good pubs, and you have to go through the other mad tunnel on the canal to get to it

1049-4258.jpg

Looks fun,

The Caldon Canal has its challenges mainly due to poor maintenance, but it's well worth doing it.  Strangely some don't bother with the Leek Arm and they miss out on one of the nicest stretches of canal in the country. Plenty of quiet and rural moorings at the far end too.