What is this part?

nbbranwell

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, nbbranwell said:

Thanks Tony!

Now I just have to find the gauge! ;) 

If you have an oil pressure warning light, then I don't think that you really need an oil pressure gauge, and there is no guarantee that the sender is working as it should. You should see its resistance alter as the engine starts up if you want to test it, but even that is not 100% definitive.

If you decide to buy a gauge then be aware that there are two resistant standards US and European and if you mix senders and gauges from the two the gauge reading is likely to be roughly half or double what it should be.

9 hours ago, nbbranwell said:

Hi all,

What is this part, and should I carry a spare?

Curious that it has a pipe (usually for a gauge) on a fitting behind the sender.

Probably worth following the pipe and wire to see where they end up. Might be an oil temperature gauge sender?

IMG_0084.jpeg

Edited by Eeyore

8 minutes ago, MtB said:

Looks more like a pressure switch for the warning light to me than a thermistor, which a temperature gauge sender will be. 

Yes of course, I think I just got used to seeing all those tiny modern ones 😇

I just did a Google images search and all the oil pressure switches were far smaller. I still think it is an earth return gauge sender - all those with that tin can design on Google were.

• Greenie 1

14 hours ago, Eeyore said:

Curious that it has a pipe (usually for a gauge) on a fitting behind the sender.

Probably worth following the pipe and wire to see where they end up. Might be an oil temperature gauge sender?

IMG_0084.jpeg

What you have there looks to be a VDO oil pressure sender. That pipe will be the feed pipe. Can't see exactly what engine you have, but if it is a SR engine the pipe will run to the forward end of the fuel pump housing. If an ST engine then it will run around to just above the oil filter on the crankcase door. Both of these engines would have originally used a mechanical gauge if ordered as an extra from Lister.