Berko

mark99

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, mark99 said:

berko.JPG

That picture was taken slightly north of the bridge that carries Billet Lane over the canal - that's it in the background.

As far as I know East and Son's premises were alongside the same pound, but further to the South - opposite part of the gas works, I believe, although I can't remember the exact location without looking at some historic maps  So it is a bit of a mystery why this pair has tied up onle a couple of hundred yards from East;s yard.

I must admit I didn't know this private yard was into wholesale production of lock gates. Only a few miles North of this picture is Bulbourne Works, where company produced lock gates were manufactured.

(Someone will now tell me that East's had multiple canalside yards in Berkhamsted!)

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I must admit I didn't know this private yard was into wholesale production of lock gates. Only a few miles North of this picture is Bulbourne Works, where company produced lock gates were manufactured.

The GU widening from Napton to Knowle would have required a lot of new gates all at once, in addition to routine gate replacement elsewhere, which probably exceeded the company's capacity to manufacture them. Hence the need to involve one or more outside suppliers.

BW did the same for the Huddersfield and Rochdale restorations 

Edited by David Mack

East's was just off Stag Lane, still operating in the seventies when I was on the buses. It's entrance was between Stag Lane and Billet Lane. Stag Lane led up to one of the 'Gas Two' locks. All built over with housing now.

The Gasometer location can best be located on SO 1:25,000 1937 - 1961 edition.

http://tinyurl.com/5n6pufxa

Edited by Derek R.

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

I seem to recall there are the remains of a miniature railway there for the gasworks. 

A narrow gauge railway, always horse worked, certainly.  I would tend to only use "miniature" for those lines operating stock that looks like a miniature of that on a full sized railway.

Much of it is still there, or at least the run between the bridge under the West Coast main line, and the boundaries of the former gas works.  I am not sure how much exists on the other side of the West Coast mainline, where the standard gauge coal wagons were discharged down chutes into the narrow gauge ones.  There is a heavy locked fence that stops you getting through from the canal side, (and ultimately into people's back gardens!)

1 hour ago, Derek R. said:

East's was just off Stag Lane, still operating in the seventies when I was on the buses. It's entrance was between Stag Lane and Billet Lane. Stag Lane led up to one of the 'Gas Two' locks. All built over with housing now.

The Gasometer location can best be located on SO 1:25,000 1937 - 1961 edition.

http://tinyurl.com/5n6pufxa

Yes - I assume where that map shows "Mill" it is referring to East's saw mill.

18 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

So it is a bit of a mystery why this pair has tied up onle a couple of hundred yards from East;s yard.

Realised they couldn't see where they were going, perhaps!!

• Happy 2