Displaced stove top

Featured Posts

One way would be for an impact to move the stove body to the right of the photo, and the markings on the flue suggest to me that this might be the case. It looks far too much movement to have been caused by rust, and that would have probably lifted it more evenly. The BSS requires stoves to be secured, so not sure how yours could move unless something broke or bent.

Morso stoves are general bolted together. Its possible one of the lugs that hold the screw has come off the casting and dropped into the fire. Have any of the vertical panels dropped? It seems unlikely th flue has been pushed up through the deck collar, but you can easily visually check.

The top plate of the Morso stove is secured in place with four 6mm set screws, two at the front and two at the back accessed from inside.  They are prone to corrode over time and have (one at least) most likely fractured as there is a certain amount of tension to hold the stove together.  You will have to part dismantle the stove to repair this as the broken set screw will have to be removed from the top plate (probably drilled out and re-tapped). If you are going to attempt this repair yourself you will need to put straps around the four sides to prevent the sides moving apart.  Top plates are available from chandlers etc. if you find the screws wont come out easily.  Or find someone who is capable of doing it, it will be cheaper than buying a new Morso.

I would advise you not to use the stove at present as poisonous gasses can escape.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

A few morso squirrel stoves on ebay atm. And spares if required. 

Someone was advertising morso squirrel parts on the forum not that long ago. Having said that, though it probably is a squirrel,but the OP hasn't said as much.

I seem to recall that the squirrel also has fire rope stuffed into the grooves, so something to bear in mind if trying to rebuild one.

Edited by rusty69

22 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I seem to recall that the squirrel also has fire rope stuffed into the grooves, so something to bear in mind if trying to rebuild one.

You are correct Rusty,

just for general information, If just replacing the top, when I bought my new squirrel top last year the sealing rope was already glued into place into the grooves. i.e., factory fitted.  The same was true for the backplate which I also had to replace.  Other seals I had to replace myself and it is imperative that you obtain the correct thickness DAHIK :rolleyes:

• Happy 1