Beta 43 Just Died on me

Motters79

Featured Posts

On 23/01/2024 at 07:44, Tony Brooks said:

If oil does not leak out now, why should it if it is disconnected? Even if it did it is very unlikely to be a bad leak. As best practice is to check the oil and coolant before the first start each day, you should get plenty of warning of a developing problem.  I just don't want you to spend money because of a potential (not a certain) problem that might (not will) occur.

Well if diesel can leak in if still plumbed in, then surely with the diesel ports unconnected then oil could leak out assuming the diaphragm is split. I just don't fancy the idea of a redundant failed part continuing to operate and possibly, ultimately,  disintegrating. Anyway I've replaced it now like for like and the engine is back in action 🥳🥳🥳

IMG_20240124_172336__01.jpg

On 23/01/2024 at 09:40, Bee said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134903136622?

I think this is the one you need, check first though!

Indeed it is! Got one from a local boat yard and fitted it today. All is well once more! Just about to have a celebratory shower with the resulting hot water 🥳😂

• Greenie 4

12 hours ago, Bee said:

Hooray!! That means mine will probably work again when I fix it - all the same systems so fingers crossed.

Yes assuming it was your lift pump that failed, which if it died in the same manner as mine then theres a good chance it is.

It's not too difficult a job. On my original pump they had cut the flared ends off and used compression fittings but I didnt wanna do that as i'd have to use a hacksaw and risk getting the swarf up inside the pump so I trimmed the copper pipe work back a bit (using a proper pipe cutter) and just used 8mm rubber pipe and jubilees as you can see from the pics. 

The pump itself come off easy enough if you can get to it ok. I had to remove the lower 10mm bolt by feel as access is difficult on my boat. Hopefully you'll have a new gasket with yours. Mine didn't do I had to make one but luckily already had some gasket paper. 

Good luck with it! 

Edited by Motters79
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Motters79 said:

Yes assuming it was your lift pump that failed, which if it died in the same manner as mine then theres a good chance it is.

It's not too difficult a job. On my original pump they had cut the flared ends off and used compression fittings but I didnt wanna do that as i'd have to use a hacksaw and risk getting the swarf up inside the pump so I trimmed the copper pipe work back a bit (using a proper pipe cutter) and just used 8mm rubber pipe and jubilees as you can see from the pics. 

The pump itself come off easy enough if you can get to it ok. I had to remove the lower 10mm bolt by feel as access is difficult on my boat. Hopefully you'll have a new gasket with yours. Mine didn't do I had to make one but luckily already had some gasket paper. 

Good luck with it! 

Ah sorry to be negative but this could be a bad idea. BSS doesn't allow ordinary rubber hose for fuel lines. It has to be marked as suitable for diesel and fire resistant. From the BSS:

Fuel feed, return and on-engine hoses must be marked, to denote both suitability for the fuel used and fire resistance, to BS EN ISO 7840 or an equivalent  standard.
Applicability – hoses marked to SAE J 1527, DIN 4798 or RINA DIP/66/96 are acceptable.
Applicability – the presence of armoured or other external braiding is not evidence of hose suitability or
fire resistance. Such hoses must be marked as above.
Applicability – fuel-hose suitability may be supported by a written declaration from the hose
manufacturer or supplier or, if appropriate, from the engine manufacturer/supplier or mariniser.

Edited by nicknorman

Fair comments guys. I'm not entirely sure if the hose I've used would technically satisfy the BSS peeps, but I'm happy that it is suitable for the fuel used. I also understand what your saying about rubber hose on plain pipe, but in reality in this specific situation it could never come off the pipe through vibration or other means. It is a nice snug fit on the copper and with the jubilee clip done up you couldn't pull it off if you tried so I am happy that the job I've done is safe and secure. The BSS guy I use is also not a 'jobs worth' so I'm pretty sure he'll pass it. If not, then it's not beyond me to redo it when the time comes, but I seriously doubt I will have to. Please don't crucify me 😂

IMG_20240125_134716__01.jpg

6 minutes ago, Motters79 said:

Fair comments guys. I'm not entirely sure if the hose I've used would technically satisfy the BSS peeps, but I'm happy that it is suitable for the fuel used. I also understand what your saying about rubber hose on plain pipe, but in reality in this specific situation it could never come off the pipe through vibration or other means. It is a nice snug fit on the copper and with the jubilee clip done up you couldn't pull it off if you tried so I am happy that the job I've done is safe and secure. The BSS guy I use is also not a 'jobs worth' so I'm pretty sure he'll pass it. If not, then it's not beyond me to redo it when the time comes, but I seriously doubt I will have to. Please don't crucify me 😂

IMG_20240125_134716__01.jpg

Well at least you used pukka fuel pipe, not just some random rubber hose from ebay! However I think the fire resistance might be an issue. The general idea is that in the event of an engine bay fire, the pipe doesn’t burn through and then pump diesel into the fire. It’s a pretty unlikely scenario of course, but the kind of thing BSS gets excited  about! But as you imply, there are plenty of BSS examiners who are pragmatic. And of course some who aren’t!

11 minutes ago, Motters79 said:

I also understand what your saying about rubber hose on plain pipe, but in reality in this specific situation it could never come off the pipe through vibration or other means. It is a nice snug fit on the copper and with the jubilee clip done up you couldn't pull it off if you tried

The problem is that 'plastics and rubber' under compression migrate and creep away from the pressure. So using Jubilee clips, the tighter you make them the more the hose material moves away from the pressure causing 'thinning' under the clip, throw in a bit of heat and the hose softens and can EASILY slide off a smooth spiggot.

This is why you should only use either a 'fiir-tree fitting or one with a swaged end to increase the diameter.

The BSS man will never even look at your spiggot but in your mind you will know it is not done properly and could come off at any time - probably when the engine is hot and you are struggling against the current on a river.