Diesel Heater under rear cruiser stern deck.

Featured Posts

We're looking at replacing our old Alde Optimus with a diesel heater. As these are rather noisy we'd like to put it in the engine bay (there is plenty of space between the front of the engine and the bulkead). But being a cruiser stern there can be a bit of leakage round the removable centre deck board which could lead to water getting onto the unit.  Does anyone see any problem in us putting the unit in an open fronted metal box so that any water would drip onto the metal box rather than the unit?

If anyone with a cruiser stern has put a burner in the engine well I'd be interested to hear how you get round the problem.

Edited by StephenA

I think most such boilers are fitted into the engine bay for the reason you state. I have not done so, and can see there MIGHT be a problem with the exhaust outlet. The boiler probably needs to be right up close to the deck so the exhaust outlet is above the waterline to ensure condensation in the exhaust can escape. I think you are right about shielding it from drips, but doubt an open fronted box is necessary. I think just a canopy on top would do.

Over to those who have them in that location.

21 minutes ago, StephenA said:

We're looking at replacing our old Alde Optimus with a diesel heater. As these are rather noisy we'd like to put it in the engine bay (there is plenty of space between the front of the engine and the bulkead). But being a cruiser stern there can be a bit of leakage round the removable centre deck board which could lead to water getting onto the unit.  Does anyone see any problem in us putting the unit in an open fronted metal box so that any water would drip onto the metal box rather than the unit?

If anyone with a cruiser stern has put a burner in the engine well I'd be interested to hear how you get round the problem.

I fitted my Webasto onto the bulkhead separating the engine room from the cabin and put a piece of 4" x 2" aluminium angle over it as a cover, with the 4" dimension fitted horizontally over the heater. I know the electrical connections at the top have rubber covers but I just didn't want loads of water sitting there.

I think a section of 3mm thick angle is sufficient as a cover. You don't need to box it in at the sides. Just make sure you round the corners off with a hacksaw and a file. You don't want to stab yourself when you're down in the engine hole 

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

I fitted my Webasto onto the bulkhead separating the engine room from the cabin and put a piece of 4" x 2" aluminium angle over it as a cover, with the 4" dimension fitted horizontally over the heater. I know the electrical connections at the top have rubber covers but I just didn't want loads of water sitting there.

I think a section of 3mm thick angle is sufficient as a cover. You don't need to box it in at the sides. Just make sure you round the corners off with a hacksaw and a file. You don't want to stab yourself when you're down in the engine hole 

That's great thanks - Nick and I were pretty sure that we could fit either a hat or a more complete box so it's good to hear that someone has actually done it.

My Webasto is secured to the cabin bulkhead and I've had no problems despite having quite a leaky cruiser stern (deck boards, drainage channels etc). Because the unit is slim the steel part of the deck protrudes from the cabin far enough to protect it from dripping rainwater. It's mounted on the port side so the exhaust outlet is easily routed through the skin of the hull.

I may be wrong but I think the Eberspachers are of similar size and shape, however the Hurricane heaters are much bigger and not as slim.

Take a look a the range of allowable heater orientations in the installation menu for the heater you are considering. They mostly seem to be installed with the air intake and exhaust outlet facing downwards, as they typically are in a road vehicle. This gives a larger surface area exposed to dripping water under a leaky cruiser stern. It also makes routing the exhaust tricky, giving a high risk of creating a condensation trap U-bend when routing the outlet high enough above the water outside. Orientating the heater with the exhaust outlet horizontal can give you options of a straighter exhaust run, with reduced risk of condensate blocking it and may allow it to be tucked out of the way of drips from above.

A typical example below. This happens to be an Ebersplutter water heater, but the cheap Chinese blown air heaters have similar options.

Screenshot_2024-01-08_10-17-02.png.9b36c78c285e44342dbff345ff107376.png