Moving Marina - Tattenhall to Droitwich Spa - best route?

robtheplod

Featured Posts

14 hours ago, agg221 said:

I've met a few people from the forum who have introduced themselves, usually when passing through locks. The problem is that the noise level on the boat is much higher than on the towpath, even immediately adjacent to it, so people assume I can hear them but unfortunately I can't!

Alec

in my defence this is so true of me as i have an inherited hearing loss (yes mum thanks for that!).. i cant hear much other than a beta 43...

we met the most frustrated woman vlokkie at Tyrley locks, who was shouting instructions to me whilst i was near the previous lock then moaning nobody listens to her as shes a woman... she told all this to my wife who could only just hear her stood across the same lock.... the future doesn't look good for her anger management!

15 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Just wait until the club tshirts arrive ;) 

Rob shirt.jpg

my wife has cheekily asked where do we order..... rebellious crew!!!

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

we met the most frustrated woman vlokkie at Tyrley locks, who was shouting instructions to me whilst i was near the previous lock then moaning nobody listens to her as shes a woman... she told all this to my wife who could only just hear her stood across the same lock.... the future doesn't look good for her anger management!

We came across her last year. She gave me a load of abuse for waiting above the next to bottom lock for a boat to come through, I was following the instruction that was stapled to the lock beam that said set 1 lock ahead or wait to avoid having to pass in the pound with a big shelf, this was the same advice the CRT bod had given us the last time. She started shouting that it was a load of rubbish and that they didn't know anything ! Clearly she hasn't mellowed!!

We saw you had managed to get tucked away in the corner yesterday, looked like a sheltered spot. We're moving down towards Alvechurch today, assuming we can get the boat off the bank in the gale...

19 hours ago, robtheplod said:

now moored in gas street... by eck its a tad windy!

I think Gas Street might be the windiest of all places to moor in Brum 🤷‍♀️

Round towards Sherborne wharf by what’s his face’s gym might be the most sheltered,

By the arena, Lego Giraffe side, I believe is the best for sunshine all day if you’ve some solar,

Holliday Wharf has to be one of the windiest points, I've tried holding the boat there waiting for someone to get off the water point and ended up pinned to the opposite bank.

Well that was interesting. Coming through by the holiday Inn or premier Inn or whatever it is, the wind blows you 90 degrees across the canal towards the hotel, then just as you correct it an almighty bounce back off the building sends you straight across towards the moored boats. Fortunately the guy off the fudge boat warned us as we passed so we were ready for it. And getting around salvage turn into the white horses was tricky too. 

• Horror 1

15 minutes ago, gatekrash said:

Well that was interesting. Coming through by the holiday Inn or premier Inn or whatever it is, the wind blows you 90 degrees across the canal towards the hotel, then just as you correct it an almighty bounce back off the building sends you straight across towards the moored boats. Fortunately the guy off the fudge boat warned us as we passed so we were ready for it. And getting around salvage turn into the white horses was tricky too. 

all good fun,

I’m sure after using the water point today the wind will try to pin me to the pub on the otherside. 
I’ll try my best but might have to give in to it 🤷‍♀️

4 hours ago, gatekrash said:

We came across her last year. She gave me a load of abuse for waiting above the next to bottom lock for a boat to come through, I was following the instruction that was stapled to the lock beam that said set 1 lock ahead or wait to avoid having to pass in the pound with a big shelf, this was the same advice the CRT bod had given us the last time. She started shouting that it was a load of rubbish and that they didn't know anything ! Clearly she hasn't mellowed!!

We saw you had managed to get tucked away in the corner yesterday, looked like a sheltered spot. We're moving down towards Alvechurch today, assuming we can get the boat off the bank in the gale...

ah we saw you go by this morning..... we walked around to see if the tap was still there and got blown over so decide we might wait a while... later today/tomorrow.... :)

On 06/04/2024 at 17:39, agg221 said:

I've met a few people from the forum who have introduced themselves, usually when passing through locks. The problem is that the noise level on the boat is much higher than on the towpath, even immediately adjacent to it, so people assume I can hear them but unfortunately I can't!

Alec

Maybe you need a quieter boat?... 😉 

All now berthed at Droitwich..... been an 'interesting' trip through two storms and **** loads of rain.... but yet i still seem to have caught the sun??!!  thanks for all the help from people!

note to self - avoid lock flights in strong winds.... :)

On 07/04/2024 at 11:59, gatekrash said:

Saw your boat as we entered the Marina today... hope your trip went well after the windy start!  :)

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

Saw your boat as we entered the Marina today... hope your trip went well after the windy start!  :)

Yeah, we made the pound below Tardebigge top lock by about 4 on Sunday, were settled in with the fire lit about half an hour before the torrential rain started, and had a nice dry and almost sunny run back to the marina on Monday.

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd give a view on our first impressions of Droitwich marina:

Plus

like the opening the gate from your mobile phone thing!

quick walk into Droitwich

quick walk to the pub

all paths are not waterlogged - not used to this!

lots of shops in droitwich as well as parks etc

minus

none yet but suspect it might be locks quickly whichever way we go!

2 hours ago, robtheplod said:

Just thought I'd give a view on our first impressions of Droitwich marina:

Plus

like the opening the gate from your mobile phone thing!

quick walk into Droitwich

quick walk to the pub

all paths are not waterlogged - not used to this!

lots of shops in droitwich as well as parks etc

minus

none yet but suspect it might be locks quickly whichever way we go!

price of diesel might be a shocker?

It was the most expensive I bought last year.

anyway, good luck there 👍

they seemed very nice people. 

You can also use the rugby club across the road, they're happy for berthers to use the bar. Their breakfasts are cheap!  Plus they run an annual music festival in August and give people in the marina free entry.

There's always bridge 35 at the top of Hanbury for diesel, or if you're coming the other way then Crafted also does diesel. 

Sometimes on a Saturday morning / Sunday afternoon Hanbury locks can have a bit of a queue with boats off the marina, we usually plan to leave Friday evening if we're off just for a weekend trip.