Wood burning and health

IanD

Featured Posts

Yes I find this problem with the Woman. She actually likes it. Zone 1 or 2, nothing else will do. I can see the point. All other London zones are just suburbia.

Having a Boat in inner East London and also a Boat on a country estate in Bucks/Berks borders I have to admit that overall I do prefer the country estate.

I can see the merit of having both but if I had to choose one it would be the country estate not the city and I would in no way wish to engage in living in suburbia.

The irony is that you have to pay for it.

It grows on trees.

Maybe it is a lot cheaper than coal products.

9 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Yes I find this problem with the Woman. She actually likes it. Zone 1 or 2, nothing else will do. I can see the point. All other London zones are just suburbia.

Having a Boat in inner East London and also a Boat on a country estate in Bucks/Berks borders I have to admit that overall I do prefer the country estate.

I can see the merit of having both but if I had to choose one it would be the country estate not the city and I would in no way wish to engage in living in suburbia.

Horses for courses. No way would I have a garden the size of my suburban one if I lived in Zone 1 or 2... 😉

Edited by IanD

4 hours ago, IanD said:

The existing government is under pressure to reduce pollution from multiple sides, but since their mates live in Mayfair they may be reluctant to bring in a ban.

The next government, not so much... 😉

Don't the next Government's mates just live in North London instead?!

1 minute ago, booke23 said:

Don't the next Government's mates just live in North London instead?!

Islington innit. 

I'm sure I've seen chimneys on the town houses. 

Anyway the next .gov will be Tory. 

What you could do is make the DEFRA approval process so expensive the fire would cost ten grand. 

Should help stop some of the riffraff having approved appliances.

4 hours ago, billh said:

I think active volcanos should be banned. All that smoke, ash and sulphur can't be healthy. Block them up with a nuclear explosion, that'll fix it.

I understand Sellafield is working towards your solution, although rather far from the volcano. We can probably export the bang.

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/12/2023 at 16:05, IanD said:

Since I know this is close to many boaters hearts, I thought I'd bring some of the latest research to people's attention. Though I suspect many won't want to know, either because it's in the Grauniad, or they just don't want to be told about PM2.5 pollution and its effects on health from those wokerati experts, especially in that there Lunnon hellhole... 😉

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/dec/15/pollutionwatch-health-cost-of-burning-wood-to-warm-homes

https://woodburning.london/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/London-Wood-Burning-Health-Impact-Evaluation-Technical-Report.pdf

"Summary of outdoor air pollution findings
The study finds that the contribution to PM2.5 concentrations across the Greater London region from
the burning of wood and coal and oil:
• Reduces life expectancy at birth for all persons of around 3 weeks (assuming individuals are
exposed to air pollutant concentrations over their lifetime)
• Is associated with an effect on mortality equivalent to 284 deaths each year, at typical ages of
death in 2019 in the UK (implying an average loss of life of around 11 years per death)"

It's worth noting that some of the worst health effects are on the stove owners/users, not all those non-boaters outside who obviously don't matter... 😞

The fact it’s in the Guardian rag means I pay no attention to it. lol. Getting back to heating a boat it’s wood, coal or diesel none of which to your avg Guardian reader is good so there can’t be many Guardian readers living as CC me thinks. 
Sad to have sold the boat wife and myself miss it, however living in Goa India we add to global warming by having the air con every night lol. What ever humans do it’s bad for someone somewhere so get over it stoke up the fire and have a beer and a burger for us. O that’s right raising beef increases methane because of cow farts a global warming gas. lol. 
Canals will be closed and filled in soon because of methane gas form the greenery rotting on the bottom of the cut. (Poke the bottom and see the bubbles come up)

Relax people take a chill pill and continue living your life and enjoy the cut we wish we still were. 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25387270/

Study by the University of Alabama indicates that fire has a positive effect. 

"The importance of fire in human evolutionary history is widely acknowledged but the extent not fully explored. Fires involve flickering light, crackling sounds, warmth, and a distinctive smell. For early humans, fire likely extended the day, provided heat, helped with hunting, warded off predators and insects, illuminated dark places, and facilitated cooking. Campfires also may have provided social nexus and relaxation effects that could have enhanced prosocial behavior. According to this hypothesis, calmer, more tolerant people would have benefited in the social milieu via fireside interactions relative to individuals less susceptible to relaxation response. "

---- 

So maybe it is just cool and relaxed people who want fires whereas more uptight people see them as a potential problem.