Marlow - Date Not Specified

mark99

Featured Posts

Some really big lumps of wood. I see they are using jacks to get them over the upstand of the boat, very clever. These old photos just show how many people were involved and how before plastic safety hats they all wore hats anyway and white shirts.

Marlow one of my favorite place on the river.

• Greenie 1

From Google maps

IMG_20231212_102252.jpg.5e4ae5a4d6979c8003f54989602552f0.jpg

the Compleat Angler hotel. their riverside pleasure grounds have been somewhat reduced in favour of more buildings. 

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

Very good detail

marlow br.JPG

Old photo of Compleat Angler. 

1663168456-compleat-angler-1930.jpg?crop

boats-for-hire.jpg?w=700&h=-1&s=1

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 1

The outfits might date the photo around the 1920s.   I don't know now, but there is/was an alleyway from the main road that crosses the bridge down to the river here, so the wood might have gone up it?  But wasn't there a timber wharf here before the houses were built?  I was brougth up in Marlow in the 50s, and it was houses then.  Incidentally, the towpath stops here by the bridge, and restarts below the lock, about 1/4 mile away.  Horses were led along Seven Cornered Alley (its name well describes it!) to Mill Lane, where they could meet the boat at Marlow Lock.  The boat would be poled along this stretch - hairy past the long weir when the river was in flood.

• Greenie 1