ex FMC Hampton. The missing years

koukouvagia

Featured Posts

This is a bit of a long shot.  I’m writing the history of Hampton, our 1911 Braithwaite and Kirk horse boat.  There is a gap. After 1948 it was sold to Robert Teal on the Trent and then around 1970 was probably sold again. I’m told it was towed to Trent lock where a swim was fitted.  After that it was based around Chester.

From the late 70s onward I’ve a pretty good idea of what happened to Hampton. 

It’s the period 1948 to the late 70s that I’m struggling to fill.  There are traces of the swim – now removed – that intrigue me.  Why a swim? Was Hampton ever motorised?

I suspect that Hampton was a fairly mundane workboat which nobody ever bothered to photograph.

We've spruced it up a bit since its working days.

IMG-20220604-WA0005.thumb.jpg.d80838c6e4c770473db024318bef1297.jpg

• Greenie 2

I have mislaid my copy of Bob May's 'The BCN in Pictures' but I recall it has a photo of Hampton and another boat being used in  bridge replacement works on - I think - the Farmer's Bridge flight. The book was published in the early 70s and I think the photo dates from the 60s. The boats both carry Manchester Ship Canal maintenance boat numbers, leading me to assume that they had previously been part of the MSC/Bridgewater Canal Co fleet.

37 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I have mislaid my copy of Bob May's 'The BCN in Pictures' but I recall it has a photo of Hampton and another boat being used in  bridge replacement works on - I think - the Farmer's Bridge flight. The book was published in the early 70s and I think the photo dates from the 60s. The boats both carry Manchester Ship Canal maintenance boat numbers, leading me to assume that they had previously been part of the MSC/Bridgewater Canal Co fleet.

Bob May captions the boats as being Hereford and Ilford.

Paul

No I don't know. 

I've just unearthed from my files some information Roger Fuller sent me in 2000.

1948  Hampton sold to Robert Teal Ltd. Newark on Trent.

Early 1970? Hampton purchased by Mr Carpenter, Burton on Trent.  Re named Daisy May

1975 Hampton now derelict.  Purchased by Martin Fuller and towed back to Stone. Rebottomed and stern rebuilt.

So, the gap is now shorter just 1948 to early 1970.

I have another question.  I can explain and decipher most of the articles on board as listed in the BCN Register, but what is the meaning of the one I’ve marked?  Also, what’s a Log?  I presume Dunnage includes ropes, chains, cloths etc.

20231205_154208-Color-Restored-Enhanced.thumb.jpg.e0cd2241cec61d19fa2a30aa575a5177.jpg

• Greenie 1

If Hampton was used on the BCN then a “log” might refer to a substantial piece of timber or iron on a chain which was hung over the side of the boat from a ring on a wharf in lieu of tying up - the advantage being that as the boat is loaded or unloaded the mooring self-adjusts.

John Teale Ltd rang a bell with me and I realised that they also used to own Elizabeth, Jim Macdonald’s old boat.  And amazingly  the company still exists seemingly now as a property rather than gravel company.  I wonder if they have any archives or historic pictures on their office walls?

Paul

• Greenie 1