16km cycle path in Burton. RESOLVED THANKS

LisaL

Featured Posts

So I’m in Branston, lovely spot, no walkers, no mud, no overhanging trees, perfect. Two days ago work started on the tow path, and by the looks of it, it’s a major job. I talked to the contractors and was told that it is a 16 km cycle path along the towpath in Burton and area payed for by CRT. Now… am I wrong in saying that this seems somewhat unreasonable seeing as they are raising the license fee quite considerably for us CCers. I will never use 16 km of cycle path and I personally prefer moorings without them. I would however rather this money be spent on more moorings and facilities like Elsan and rubbish points. 
Is my disgruntlement unfounded or am I right in thinking that this not really what I want to pay more for. Is it worth calling them or is this a waste of time. 
Thanks for letting me get this off my chest

Edited by LisaL

• LisaL changed the title to 16km cycle path in Burton. RESOLVED THANKS

Further info...

"A towpath along the Trent and Mersey Canal in Burton are set to be improved - 200 years after it was laid by hand.

Using money secured from the Government by the Burton Town Deal Board, five-and-a-half miles of pathway between Branston Water Park and the Dove Aqueduct, near Stretton, could be given a major facelift.

Known as Project G of the Town Investment Plan, it is set to cost £525,000 from a £22.8 million Government grant to the Town Deal Board to pay for major improvements in the town."

source: https://www.staffordshire-live.co.uk/news/burton-news/canal-path-through-burton-set-5450536

I hate using links to Reach group sites, but it was the first i came across so i quoted the relevant bit.

I've mentioned this before, but a lot of modern towpath "improvements" are more like restorations. If you look at the state they were in 100 to 120 years ago, when they were being almost exclusively used by towing quadrupeds, it looks remarkably like a modern graded cycle/walking Sustrans job.

See the photos that @mark99 has been posting in the History and Heritage section. It was only after towing ended that towpaths degenerated in to the muddy tracks that many people think of as being their normal state.

For example:

• Greenie 1

• 5 weeks later...

Towpaths were maintained by the companies as is evident in old photographs. The use of powered craft and their wash clearly caused damage to the towpath sides and BW did engage in new banking. The concern about this new form of towpath improvements must include the issue of cyclist speeding along and driving walkers off the new path.