Changing Coolant and Header tank

umpire111

Featured Posts

think Im about to show my ignorance but here goes. Changed the  coolant on my NB for first time today. All emptied except the white plactic header tank about the calorifier did not budge, should the coolant not have drained out of that as well? Im sure that feeds into the calorifier which I trust emptied. Put me out of my misery please

1 minute ago, umpire111 said:

Not sure it’s sited directly above the calorifier, it may be for the central heating that may explain why it didn’t drain

It will be the heating expansion tank.  But then you do have antifreeze in your heating system as well?  When did you last change that?

5 minutes ago, umpire111 said:

Not sure it’s sited directly above the calorifier, it may be for the central heating that may explain why it didn’t drain

You'll have to follow the pipes and see where they go to be sure. Harder with a calorifier down there, as it isn't obvious what connects with what going in and out.

24 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

It will be the heating expansion tank.  But then you do have antifreeze in your heating system as well?  When did you last change that?

Not impossible for it to be an accumulator/expansion vessel with a plastic finish. Photo please.