Thetford midi prima oven not hot!

jasonlovesthegroove

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, MtB said:

The killer question is though, did they find something to fit instead that actually worked?

Exactly. Once the boat is built with space for one of these diminutive duffers, it's Hobson's choice... or a galley refit!

14 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Exactly. Once the boat is built with space for one of these diminutive duffers, it's Hobson's choice... or a galley refit!

The problem is that fitting a full-sized domestic oven (and hob?) in just isn't possible with a lot of narrowboat galley layouts, so we're talking about a total ripout and rethink -- and depending where the galley is and how the access is (and how big it is) this may still not be possible.

I found it was the biggest single PITA when designing ours, and that was given complete freedom in a new build boat. The solution I chose was a full-depth worktop section where the hob/oven are, with reduced depth or no units opposite (also walkway, so no pinch points) -- other solutions are possible (and I looked at many...), but this fitted best with central steps at the rear and a dinette in front.

galley.png

Edited by IanD

15 hours ago, blackrose said:

I understand why a boat has a Thetford toilet but I'm not sure why anyone would fit Thetford kitchen appliances when there are so many other better known household brands? Are Thetford kitchen appliances smaller than standard household appliances and easier to fit into the confines of a narrow boat?

The Thetford Aspire in our Caravan is definitely smaller and (importantly for a caravan) lighter than a domestic equivalent. 

Edited by M_JG
too many equivalents

Hi all. 

Update. 

I was at my boat earlier and noticed there is a big gap along the top of the door. I thought that strange as obviously a lot of heat is escaping there. 
Checked the diagram in the manual and there should be a 2nd sheet of glass inside the door which isn’t present on my door. 🤦🏻‍♂️

So it’s been shipped to me with an incomplete door. 

To clarify, if anyone wonders how I haven’t noticed either the door, or the bad heat retention, the boat is a holiday hire boat now, and I’ve not used the oven since it was fitted. 

Sorry for seemingly wasting people’s time, trying to find a reason for the inefficiency of the oven, but at least it seems that would make a huge difference and hopefully solve the problem I was faced with. 

Pretty pissed off that could happen but glad I’ve found it. 

Many thanks for all your help and suggestions. I’ll be on the phone tmrw to sort the door problem and when it’s done I’ll put an update on here.. hopefully a hot oven! 

Jason. 

• Greenie 3

10 hours ago, jasonlovesthegroove said:

Hi all. 

Update. 

I was at my boat earlier and noticed there is a big gap along the top of the door. I thought that strange as obviously a lot of heat is escaping there. 
Checked the diagram in the manual and there should be a 2nd sheet of glass inside the door which isn’t present on my door. 🤦🏻‍♂️

So it’s been shipped to me with an incomplete door. 

To clarify, if anyone wonders how I haven’t noticed either the door, or the bad heat retention, the boat is a holiday hire boat now, and I’ve not used the oven since it was fitted. 

Sorry for seemingly wasting people’s time, trying to find a reason for the inefficiency of the oven, but at least it seems that would make a huge difference and hopefully solve the problem I was faced with. 

Pretty pissed off that could happen but glad I’ve found it. 

Many thanks for all your help and suggestions. I’ll be on the phone tmrw to sort the door problem and when it’s done I’ll put an update on here.. hopefully a hot oven! 

Jason. 

Could it be that one of your hirers managed to smash the glass, and then removed and disposed of the evidence hoping you wouldn’t notice? I guess we’ll never know.

45 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Could it be that one of your hirers managed to smash the glass, and then removed and disposed of the evidence hoping you wouldn’t notice? I guess we’ll never know.

Hi 

Well it’s possible. but highly unlikely. It’s only been a hire boat for 3 months and had about 20 groups on it. The oven looks like new still, as in, dinners haven’t been cooked in it. 
My previous oven was there for 23 years and the glass was never broken, and it’s toughened obviously. 
I think far more likely that it was incomplete. Annoying 🙄

No photos of the install or advertising photos which may show the door when new by any chance? 

I would hope any hirer with a conscience would put their hand up to that one. 

Lost count of the number of wine glasses we have pleaded guilty to over the years. 😂

13 minutes ago, Ken X said:

No photos of the install or advertising photos which may show the door when new by any chance? 

I would hope any hirer with a conscience would put their hand up to that one. 

Lost count of the number of wine glasses we have pleaded guilty to over the years. 😂

Hi..

Yeah I’m wondering the same thing, if I have any photos from then to double check the door. I’ll have a dig. But meanwhile hoping Thetford warranty will sort it without quibble. 

Also yeah, all my guests have been lovely, and I’m sure would say in the unlikely event that happened. 

They’ve told me about other things as you say.