Four more Oxford bridges to receive hydraulic mechanisms- £650,000. Thoughts?

Stroudwater1

Featured Posts

Just now, magnetman said:

Hydraulic gear with long pipe runs can creep anyway. Just think of the old granny gear lock winding mechanisms. No good.

There will be problems here unless a system is devised to ensure that the bridges can not be left open after use.

You will probably need a BWB key to raise it and wont be able to get your key back until its lowered

10 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

You will probably need a BWB key to raise it and wont be able to get your key back until its lowered

Is that how the one in Banbury works?

I've not been under it but for some reason i think it was one of the old round granny gear things where you just put the windlass on and wind one way or the other.

Of course it was installed quite a number of yars ago so one imagines that the new ones will have better systems.

• RichM featured this topic
33 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Is that how the one in Banbury works?

I've not been under it but for some reason i think it was one of the old round granny gear things where you just put the windlass on and wind one way or the other.

Of course it was installed quite a number of yars ago so one imagines that the new ones will have better systems.

No , all you need is a windlass and a highjacked pedestrian. That's how I always got through it single handed.