BCN weed

saxplayer

Featured Posts

47 minutes ago, IanD said:

@David Mack suggested -- so I'm trying to find out why he suggested this, was it just that it's secure because there's no access?

Earlier in the thread someone said there should be secure moorings on the BCN, so I simply pointed out one that exists. I also pointed out that it's only of use if you are going to remain on your boat for the duration of your stay, which is probably why it isn't much used.

A couple of weeks ago we moored up on the towpath side between the top lock and Broad Street Bridge, despite the dodgy looking characters using the park benches for possibly nefarious purposes. There were other boats moored there on both sides. We left the boat for the evening and it came to no harm.

36 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Earlier in the thread someone said there should be secure moorings on the BCN, so I simply pointed out one that exists. I also pointed out that it's only of use if you are going to remain on your boat for the duration of your stay, which is probably why it isn't much used.

A couple of weeks ago we moored up on the towpath side between the top lock and Broad Street Bridge, despite the dodgy looking characters using the park benches for possibly nefarious purposes. There were other boats moored there on both sides. We left the boat for the evening and it came to no harm.

Thanks, all clear now 🙂

3 hours ago, Rob-M said:

In Broad Street basin is water point and services so no overnight mooring, often there are boats along the towpath and above the top lock on both sides.  There are some permanent moorings in the arm by the top lock as well.

When CRT used to used Broad Street basin they often kept a work boat in there, and with permission I've stayed overnight with a pair of working boats in the basin a couple of times.

My preference is to moor in the basin. 
I tie up on the opposite side to the taps. 

I think the big gates are often locked late at night. I’m sure I’ve seen them being unlocked early morning. 

On 11/09/2023 at 10:15, Mike Todd said:

Last time through, our schedule left us with little option but to overnight below the pumping station. Not an obvious place (especially in view of Smethwick being on the upper level) but it turned out to be a very quiet stay. 

I often wonder about the reputations some places get - are they, like red tops, the result of a single unrepresentative incident that is blown out of proportion? All too often we do not report on mooring stops that were without incident, only those where towpath users distrub the peace!

Just a wee correction: someone commented about he lack of rings/bollards on the Main Line below the pumping station - there are and we could not use them because another boat was there for a while doing 'maintenance'. (see http://nbalchemy.blogspot.com/2022/10/smethwick.html, comments and next day) In fact, having checked our logs in more detail, we moored just before Rolfe Bridge , very close to the pumping station. And there were no rings etc as we commented on the effort required to hammer in pins into the supposed grass strip left for the purpose (?)