Inverter Issue

Kris9128

Featured Posts

I spoke to Sterling about similar issue, but on the one I asked about the diagnostics lights were flashing all over the place, all he was interested in was if I had 12v in and 240 out with inverter on??
 On yours it’s saying your in shore power and charger is working. Disconnect shore power,  make sure your immersion heater is off and any high drawing appliances. Switch Inverter on(not power save mode) Then test what voltage you have going in 12v and if you have 240v out, and what are the diagnostic lights saying?

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

With shoreline on, the switch is in charge only ( centre position )  as advised by boat builder. 

Lights above it say float charge mode . Which i think is correct? 

With shoreline off and inverter switched to power saver off mode as advised it dies .

I have watched yout tube tutorial from stirling and these are correct settings .

No multi meter onboard sadly but int control panel says domestic batteries are giving 13 amps . Same on starter 

10 minutes ago, Norm55 said:

With shoreline on, the switch is in charge only ( centre position )  as advised by boat builder. 

Lights above it say float charge mode . Which i think is correct? 

With shoreline off and inverter switched to power saver off mode as advised it dies .

I have watched yout tube tutorial from stirling and these are correct settings .

No multi meter onboard sadly but int control panel says domestic batteries are giving 13 amps . Same on starter 

Are you sure that is not 13 VOLTS - few boats have ammeters on the control panel.

1 minute ago, Norm55 said:

With the shoreline disconnected and emmersion off, even switched off at consumer board ( as it has an old analogue timer ) there are no lights on inverter at all. Which leads me to mega fuse.  But would this allow combi to work on shoreline? 

Yes.

1 minute ago, Norm55 said:

With the shoreline disconnected and emmersion off, even switched off at consumer board ( as it has an old analogue timer ) there are no lights on inverter at all. Which leads me to mega fuse.  But would this allow combi to work on shoreline? 

The mega fuse is for the inverter side remember this is a combi so the charger works on incoming shore power, so nothing to do with the inverter side,

Thanks for all replies so far.  You have cheered me up with your willingness to help an electric numpty like me.!  The lack of service and quality of a new build is seriously lacking in my boat. 

Anyhow change the mega fuse tomorrow ( i can manage that ) and let you know. 

Thanks again 

14 hours ago, Norm55 said:

The lack of service and quality of a new build is seriously lacking in my boat. 

It is a sad state of affairs -  the quality of NB boatbuilding seems to be appalling and yet 'we' put up with it.

The price seems to make no difference.

I've previously told the story of the £300,000 wide beam that arrived in our marina with dozens of faults, after 3 months and 100s of hours of rectification work, the manufacturer 'walked away' and said "we've done all we can, thats it !"

It still had water leaks and other issues.

I don't think it ever went out of the marina, and was immediately put up for sale at Offers over £250k, and was still for sale a year later when we left the marina.

The fact that it was a special build and hand prepared for the boat show, meant that it was actually built and QA checked to a higher standard than a standard build.

I know it is nice to have a toilet than no one has ever used but, have concluded that it is far, far, far better to buy a 'young' pre-used boat where the miriad of little niggles have been sorted and the boat is immediately usable. 

If anyone was to ask for my opinion my recommendation would be 'don't buy a new boat'.

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

The mega fuse is for the inverter side remember this is a combi so the charger works on incoming shore power, so nothing to do with the inverter side,

But if the mega fuse has blown, surely that would prevent   any charge reaching the batteries.

Update:  bought couple of spare mega fuses  fitted one and all is well!   

Still unanswered is why is this 3rd fuse ? Last one lasted 23 hours, however the nuts holding it were not tight.    Fingers crossed we are off 

Thanks for all advice 

59 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

But if the mega fuse has blown, surely that would prevent   any charge reaching the batteries.

But if you look at his pictures, you will see shore power charger on which indicates that the charging may be fine, but it doesn’t light up charging stage, the fault is likely on the inverter side, I know what your saying as there obviously is s break to battery so the charge is not getting to battery, which has now been identified as the fuse, so now when on shore power the charge stage lights should indicate state of charge. 

17 minutes ago, Norm55 said:

Update:  bought couple of spare mega fuses  fitted one and all is well!   

Still unanswered is why is this 3rd fuse ? Last one lasted 23 hours, however the nuts holding it were not tight.    Fingers crossed we are off 

Thanks for all advice 

Which fuse are you replacing? The inline fuse from the inverter to battery Check all conections are tight also on battery and inverter. Good luck👍

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

29 minutes ago, Norm55 said:

Uneventful 3 hour cruise. Moored up now at Great Heywood. 

Yes terminals are tight, engineer from boat builder came out this morning and refixed fuse holder to bulkhead under stern doors. 

Fingers crossed onwards up the Shroppie to Nantwich 

I hope that you are going up the Staffs & Worcs then down the Shroppie from GH, its nice trip !  Take care on the locks down to Nantwich.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

6 minutes ago, Norm55 said:

Am heading west on staff and Worcester.....i would then say up the Shroppie as am heading oop north .

Tyrley and Audlem by washes aren't too bad going down....on my way up........

Ah, the Audlem pound shelf and screaming by-washes.