Nottingham to York

Bronco99

Featured Posts

I am based on the Warwickshire Avon in ‘cruiser country’ but unlike many of my peers I like to explore further afield when possible. I’d like to tow my 27’ 8’ 8’ to Nottingham and make my way up to York. I believe my dimensions will allow for this trip but does anyone know any reason why I wouldn’t make it- pinch points, lock restrictions etc? 

What's your air draft?

The Nottingham Canal itself has an 8ft air draft limit and you will need to be fairly shallow (water) draft as well. Our boat drew 3ft and spent most of the time on the bottom of the canal the last time we went up that way.

With regards your boat length and width there are no restrictions that will affect you at all if you launch on the river and avoid the canal. These are commercial waterways with huge locks. Your boat will feel tiny.

There are several route choices you can take to York from there. Which do you intend to use?

We always preferred rounding Trent End but have also gone through the canal system to get there as well.  

Yeah so that probably wasn’t super clear! It’s 8’ beam and 8’ air draught not 8.8’ beam!

I am looking to head up the Trent and on to the Ouse after a cruise around the Humber. Usual cruising includes Sharpness to Portishead so I like a bit of estuary with my river and canal.

In at Keadby and out at Selby  requires planning with tides but is the easier and safer route compared with rounding Trent end.

If you wish to explore , consider going to Hull. Then come out of Hull at 3hrs before HW and the tide will carry you up to Naburn.

28 minutes ago, Bronco99 said:

Yeah so that probably wasn’t super clear! It’s 8’ beam and 8’ air draught not 8.8’ beam!

I am looking to head up the Trent and on to the Ouse after a cruise around the Humber. Usual cruising includes Sharpness to Portishead so I like a bit of estuary with my river and canal.

What type of boat? GRP cruiser? make?

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

@MartynG You say in at Keadby and out at Shelby is safer than going round Trent End. Bearing in mind that I’m assuming you’re referring to Forest stadium, what is it that’s unsafe about the river north from Nottingham, and if I’ve misunderstood could you set me right!

I’ll probably head to Hull and follow the tide as you suggest. Either way as a regular on the Severn Estuary I’m familiar with a tide table.

Is there any mooring available in York central?

34 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

What type of boat? GRP cruiser? make?

Yes mate, fibreglass Atlanta 27 running a single Penta aq131c

12 minutes ago, Bronco99 said:

@MartynG You say in at Keadby and out at Shelby is safer than going round Trent End. Bearing in mind that I’m assuming you’re referring to Forest stadium, what is it that’s unsafe about the river north from Nottingham, and if I’ve misunderstood could you set me right!

I’ll probably head to Hull and follow the tide as you suggest. Either way as a regular on the Severn Estuary I’m familiar with a tide table.

Trent End is where the Ouse and Trent meet and become the Humber.

Shouldn't give you a problem with you are used to cruising on the Severn Estuary.

There is a lovely anchorage there to sit out the remaining ebb tide and wait for the flood tide to take you up the Ouse.

We always found this way much easier than messing about going through the canals.

21 minutes ago, Bronco99 said:

@MartynG You say in at Keadby and out at Shelby is safer than going round Trent End. Bearing in mind that I’m assuming you’re referring to Forest stadium,

No

Keadby 

(Lincolnshire)

Selby

(Yorkshire)

Trent End is what we call the point where the Trent and the Yorkshire Ouse meet.

Edited by MartynG

28 minutes ago, Bronco99 said:

Ensure you get the uptodate charts - the samd banks move (almost) daoly and the buoys are being continuously re-located.

Charts are re-issued bi-Monthly.

Example of the chart Trent falls to Humber bridge.

Down the Trent (bottom left) up to the 'junction and turn right to Hull marina, or Left to York

You can see how narrow the actual channel is (anything that is not 'white' is drying.

Humber Bridge to Trent Falls 2015.pdf

Edited by Alan de Enfield

4 hours ago, Bronco99 said:

There are plenty of visitor moorings in York, most of them marked as 48 hours. Favoured ones are alongside Museum Gardens on the right after you have gone upstream under Lendal Bridge. There are other moorings at King's Staithe and Queen's Staithe either side of the river before Ouse Bridge. There are however no flood safe moorings available for visitors, they are all occupied by the trip boats. If a flood is likely (keep an eye on the weather 30 or 40 miles away in the Dales) you'll need to run away downstream to Naburn Lock or upstream to Linton Lock (quite a long way). There is a water point near Lendle Bridge but it is where the trip boats pick up passengers all day long so you can only use it early in the morning or after the boats stop in the evening.

When the Ouse is in serious flood you can use the trip boat floating pontoons. We were stuck on one for a week some years ago. The trip boat people were very sympathetic giving us the code for the combination locked gate and the owner of a nearby bar lent us a pair of chest waders so I was able to get off when the flood receded a bit. Although signs on the museum gardens moorings say 48hrs I've never seen anyone moved or even challenged. The elsan and bins take a bit of finding even when you go through the arch off Judy Dench walk. Just keep turning left.

17 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

There are plenty of visitor moorings in York, most of them marked as 48 hours. Favoured ones are alongside Museum Gardens on the right after you have gone upstream under Lendal Bridge. There are other moorings at King's Staithe and Queen's Staithe either side of the river before Ouse Bridge. There are however no flood safe moorings available for visitors, they are all occupied by the trip boats. If a flood is likely (keep an eye on the weather 30 or 40 miles away in the Dales) you'll need to run away downstream to Naburn Lock or upstream to Linton Lock (quite a long way). There is a water point near Lendle Bridge but it is where the trip boats pick up passengers all day long so you can only use it early in the morning or after the boats stop in the evening.

We always preferred mooring on Kings Staithe in York especially if there had been any recent rain. The wall is a fair bit higher there so a bit more scope for river levels to rise before over topping the bank.

Busy mooring during the day though with a lot of passing footfall. Peaceful enough for a city centre mooring at night though.