Towing a Historic Butty

Morris

Featured Posts

With BRIGHTON on Sunday passing down the Famers Bridge flight, there was a clear example of bow hauling this butty, and they did not tie a rope around the end of the lock gate so that the forward movement of the boat was not used to close the gate.

323587.jpg

Our Braithwaite and Kirke butty has a small stud welded to the stem post.  I've no idea when or why this was added, but it does make it easier when on cross-straps.  It prevents both arms of the rope from slipping over to the same side of the stem post.  I also wonder what purpose the swivel bracket  with the eye was for.

P1240537.jpg.04c5174487d8c9e552711be26e274132.jpg

2 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

Our Braithwaite and Kirke butty has a small stud welded to the stem post.  I've no idea when or why this was added, but it does make it easier when on cross-straps.  It prevents both arms of the rope from slipping over to the same side of the stem post.  I also wonder what purpose the swivel bracket  with the eye was for.

Similar stud was added to our Small Woolwich Pallas when new steel cants were done by Steve Priest at WFBCo in 1989 - it was rendered almost unecessary by also having neat fabricated "rope-wear grooves" made with half tubes inserted either side of the stem (the photos I have don't show it well) ...

2 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

Funny thing is I have just seen a Hudson boat with a brass bed knob/door knob in that same spot. I have no idea why

3 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

The bracket is for attaching the chain , used at one time for stopping the boat in locks . must have caused a lot of wear on the stumps!

6 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

The loose bracket with the eye is for hanging the button from. 

Screenshot_20230814-223117_Gallery.jpg