Help understanding energy systems

Mr.T

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Exactly all depending on areas, I think a bit more than £5-£10 more like £15-£25, you may get it for £5 if moored at that particular marina and part of the agreement, maybe free once a month, everywhere is different. What toilet did you opt for?

I meant the cost per week, not per pumpout.

My toilet is whichever pumpout Finesse normally use (looks like a Vetus?) with rigid plumbing to a big holding tank (about 400l? not sure of exact size...) under the rear steps, with duplicated access ports on the gunwale at both sides to avoid having to turn the boat round half the time... 😉

pumpout.jpg

Edited by IanD

The last 3 boats I have lived on all had pump outs when I bought them, for a variety of reasons all had cassette toilets when I sold them.

Always get a spare cassette and avoid the Thetford C250 as the cassette is way smaller than the C200.

14 hours ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

You obviously hire on a busy section with A few Marina’s who may have arrangements in place for their hirers to use others facilities, working pumpouts in my area are getting less and are £20-£25 a time, far easier, quicker and cheaper to use cassettes 

When we cruised the Aire & Calder, Calder & Hebble, Huddersfield and Rochdale canals in 2005-2019 we were very happy that we had a cassette as boatyards closed and facilities reduced in number. Diesel also became scarcer. Presume the trend is continuing. Now based in Cheshire where it is possible to get a pump out several times a week when cruising if so desired.

47 minutes ago, PeterF said:

When we cruised the Aire & Calder, Calder & Hebble, Huddersfield and Rochdale canals in 2005-2019 we were very happy that we had a cassette as boatyards closed and facilities reduced in number. Diesel also became scarcer. Presume the trend is continuing. Now based in Cheshire where it is possible to get a pump out several times a week when cruising if so desired.

Yes they’re around but not frequently and often the CaRT card operated ones are not functional. Same as diesel nice areas with no diesel apart from canned from the odd close by garage.

1 hour ago, PeterF said:

If you need a pumpout several times a week you must have *serious* intestinal problems... 😉

• 1 month later...
On 09/08/2023 at 17:59, magnetman said:

It is a good question..

What problems? 

Canal boats are completely different to sea going vessels. If you are at sea and have a fire on the boat it can be incredibly serious. You could end up swimming. Some people think it is a risk not worth taking. Most fires will be caused by the flame on the cooker not the fact it is a gas installation.

On canal boats if you got a fire caused by flame due to inattention then you can just get off the boat if it becomes awkward. 

The fact is that gas just isn't dangerous. 

Fire is dangerous. 

Fire at sea and cheap chinese chargers do not a happy bed fellow make.

A couple of electrical fires in this weeks exciting MAIB publication.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/651abdf66dfda6000d8e3981/2023-SD2-SafetyDigest.pdf

• Greenie 1