How to tackle side hatch rusty hinges

Featured Posts

Hi I'm after some advice on how to tackle the removal of rust/flacky paint from the side hatch hinges, they are lift off ones, so half the hinge is welded to the boat an the other to the hatch, they are small and fidly to get around so guessing it'll be patience with sanding first? never tackled anything like this so nervous of getting it wrong, thanks in advance

Lift the doors off, then get in as best you can with a wire cup brush on an angle grinder to remove rust and loose paint. If there are any areas which that can't reach you may need to hand wire brush or perhaps chip off remaining rust and paint with a hammer and small cold chisel. Finish off with coarse sandpaper if necessary.

It depends how deep the rust is and if you plan a big repaint or just a local repair.

A bit of course "sandpaper" (really aluminium oxide) folded in half and a bit of patience will get it mostly done.

The weld will probably make it difficult to get into the "pits" due to rust and/or weld texture. A small hand wire brush might help.

A little grinding tool in a Dremmel can sometimes also help but probably wont be needed.

It likely won't be as difficult as you are thinking.

5 hours ago, dmr said:

It depends how deep the rust is and if you plan a big repaint or just a local repair.

A bit of course "sandpaper" (really aluminium oxide) folded in half and a bit of patience will get it mostly done.

The weld will probably make it difficult to get into the "pits" due to rust and/or weld texture. A small hand wire brush might help.

A little grinding tool in a Dremmel can sometimes also help but probably wont be needed.

It likely won't be as difficult as you are thinking.

I am using Kurust to coat any residual rust, in difficult places, but cleaning to bright steel is what is required.

I think a Dremel with a wire head might get in to crevices.

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I am using Kurust to coat any residual rust, in difficult places, but cleaning to bright steel is what is required.

I think a Dremel with a wire head might get in to crevices.

You forgot to mention SML paints.

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1