Engine Running Sensor

Quattrodave

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, GBW said:

I have the same interest and found this post by accident.

My reason us that I have a fear of engaging the starter motor while the engine is running.

To preempt the incredulity, I have two identical buttons adjacent to each other, one for start, the other for stop.

I have a remote "start down", "stop up" toggle switch at the helm.

I also have a wife who can't remember which switch to push or toggle.  If she pushes "start" when she meant "stop", there will be a horrible noise and the chance of damage.

I am happy with the arrangement, as, in the engine bay, I can select which button by touch and at the helm, "Up" means stop and "down" means start.

All perfectly logical BUT .............!

If I can detect the engine is running, I can disable the circuit to the start solenoid.  The oil pressure switch doesn't do it as the starter would cease once the oil pressure rises.

Likewise, the alternator would not serve for the same reason.

Even a pulse detector on the crankshaft would present the same problem.

However, as is often the case, describing the problem to others inspires a solution.  A delay in the detection signal produced from any of the above, should solve the problem.

Thanks for the invitation for self reasoning!🙂

Just get a lift up cover for one of the buttons. Don't make it too hard

50 minutes ago, GBW said:

I have the same interest and found this post by accident.

My reason us that I have a fear of engaging the starter motor while the engine is running.

To preempt the incredulity, I have two identical buttons adjacent to each other, one for start, the other for stop.

I have a remote "start down", "stop up" toggle switch at the helm.

I also have a wife who can't remember which switch to push or toggle.  If she pushes "start" when she meant "stop", there will be a horrible noise and the chance of damage.

I am happy with the arrangement, as, in the engine bay, I can select which button by touch and at the helm, "Up" means stop and "down" means start.

All perfectly logical BUT .............!

If I can detect the engine is running, I can disable the circuit to the start solenoid.  The oil pressure switch doesn't do it as the starter would cease once the oil pressure rises.

Likewise, the alternator would not serve for the same reason.

Even a pulse detector on the crankshaft would present the same problem.

However, as is often the case, describing the problem to others inspires a solution.  A delay in the detection signal produced from any of the above, should solve the problem.

Thanks for the invitation for self reasoning!🙂

In machinery it is custom to have a small green switch for on, typically recessed to stop an inadvertent press, and a dirty great big mushroom stop button that you can't miss.

Perhaps you could apply the same reasoning to switches for stopping and starting your engine?

• Greenie 2

On 14/08/2023 at 15:29, GBW said:

The answer will depend on the individual: -

• A "people person" will put large labels saying "start" and "stop"
  • An electrical engineer will design a complex circuit around not energising the Starter Motor while the Alternator is charging
  • A hydraulic engineer will design a contraption with a small sprung piston to prevent pushing the "start" button while there is oil pressure
  • A lawyer will have a single sign "I warned you"
  • A software developer will have a Raspberry Pi or Arduino with an algorithm based upon battery volts, temperature and noise level to block the starter circuit. This will later be implicated in not allowing you to start then engine when moored near a weir...

And - you think you have a problem... Read the account of landing a B17 at the end of a bombing mission...So Long

image.png.c5de7ef0fb8e225f26c7a894080f149a.png

On 14/08/2023 at 15:29, GBW said:

I have two identical buttons adjacent to each other, one for start, the other for stop

Could be worse, I have two identical buttons for engine stop and the horn.

It got exciting when a friend steering my boat into a potentially sticky situation pressed the wrong one.  A horn signal would have been much more use than stopping the engine!

5 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Could be worse, I have two identical buttons for engine stop and the horn.

It got exciting when a friend steering my boat into a potentially sticky situation pressed the wrong one.  A horn signal would have been much more use than stopping the engine!

I had something similar on my second narrowboat many years ago. Whenever a faintly stressful situation arose, the engine stopped. 

I eventually sussed it. The engine stop button was exactly hip height on the control panel and when under slight stress when steering, I tended to shift my position in the hatches and lean against it!! 

Soon after I graduated to a proper engine, needing a trip down into the engine 'ole to stop it  :D