BMC 1.5 Drive Belt - Help, I've chopped mine in half!

ionayes

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

So is that a recognised way of fitting belts?  Have multi-V pulleys and cut a multi-V belt down to the number of grooves that happen to be in line across all the pulleys?

Had do do it when fitting air con on the odd car.

5 minutes ago, pearley said:

Had do do it when fitting air con on the odd car.

I  can imagine in a boat that things might not totally line up because of things being swapped out and an exact replacement not being available but in a car I'm surprised that is the case.

9 hours ago, StephenA said:

I  can imagine in a boat that things might not totally line up because of things being swapped out and an exact replacement not being available but in a car I'm surprised that is the case.

Was never alignment. We had tools to ensure the pulleys were in line. It was more a question that a belt the length we required was only available with 8 grooves whereas we wanted 6 so out with the Stanley knife.

19 hours ago, sueanddaren said:

Our old boat with a BMC 1.5 had a very similar modification, that used a 4PK1052 belt, but until you offer up a new belt to the pulleys it is very difficult to tell. 

I have been successful in measure with a wire or similar going round the pulleys. Its then a question of finding a size that closely matches.  By way of your example your 4PK1052 will be 4 ribs and a length of 1052mm.

4 minutes ago, Mikexx said:

I have been successful in measure with a wire or similar going round the pulleys. Its then a question of finding a size that closely matches.  By way of your example your 4PK1052 will be 4 ribs and a length of 1052mm.

I think the belt in question was a four rib belt but had lost a rib for some reason.