BMC 2.2 water pump

seasurveys

Featured Posts

Does anyone know of a water pump for a BMC 2.2 diesel Commander. Stuck on a boat with water pump failure and unable  to get back to home harbour. This is the circulating pump. New or used..doesn't matter. Urgent!

JohnJPEG_20230629_204114_.thumb.jpg.c6afeb134034ed3a8b4af8fa9762a7d8.jpg

I can't give a direct answer, but look in a Vintage Tractor magazine because there are companies that will rebuild them. I think that if he has time and can get the spares, member @RLWP MES (Midlands)/Primrose engineering could also rebuild it. Also look in any vintage transport magazine.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Old pumps often come apart easily with ordinary ball bearings and a replacable seal that can be bought at a bearing shop.......even a more modern unit bearing type will have a standard seal ,and the unit bearing may also be a common one from a bearing shop.........it will likely have press fits ,and you will need a bit of gear to get it apart and together......but nothing special

Thanks all.  Locked in in Yarmouth IOW and without engine cannot get back to Poole.

As said earlier, if anyone has a pump then do let me know. But in mean time will contact the people suggested.

Thanks again.  John

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

There are the usual BMC suppliers, A.S.A.P Supplies,  Calcutt Marina and tractorspareparts.co.uk.

I am almost certain Calcutt don't deal with anything larger than the 1.8 these days, and ASAP do not list 2.2 water pumps.

Looked in the manual....appears to be similar to early B series petrols(1950s) ....separate ball bearings ,front pulley is keyed and held with a nut.........the shaft should push thru from the front without removing the impeller.........however all this must be verified before applying force.

Edited by john.k

Thanks all.  Locked in in Yarmouth IOW and without engine cannot get back to Poole.

As said earlier, if anyone has a pump then do let me know. But in mean time will contact the people suggested.

Thanks again.  John

ByThat is all very useful . Thanks. Managed to get bearings out on board and they are simple sealed bearings. Not very big. About 5/8 shaft..1.5 inch outer and about  3/8" width. Not exact as no accurate micrometer. Anyone know the exact size so I can order a pair. Obviously imperial...

12 minutes ago, seasurveys said:

Thanks again.  John

ByThat is all very useful . Thanks. Managed to get bearings out on board and they are simple sealed bearings. Not very big. About 5/8 shaft..1.5 inch outer and about  3/8" width. Not exact as no accurate micrometer. Anyone know the exact size so I can order a pair. Obviously imperial...

I am sure there is a bearing supplier on the IoW in Newport or Ryde who can pattern them up for you, but what about the seal?

Sorry, having Googled seems I am wrong. Closest looks like Portsmouth. have you asked the local marine engineers about bearing suppliers.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Thanks...think I have traced the bearings. Seal...think I'll have to use the old seal which seems serviceable as never going to find one of those in short time.

Even if it leaks a bit the bearings are sealed and just topping up is a much best scenario than no engine at all.

Bearings are 1 9/16" X 5/8" X 7/16". On order from  Ashley Bearings in Poole and in stock arriving Monday hopefully. So grateful to you all.

John

1 hour ago, Quattrodave said:

Good to see that Gipsy Spares are still going even if they are in Holland.  Is the 2.2 petrol engine the same pump as the 2.2 diesel?  

18 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Is the 2.2 petrol engine the same pump as the 2.2 diesel?  

For the engine coolant pump, yes, that's where I got one a few years ago.  Or have a look at the link, the last one I rebuilt and listed all the parts required...

The manual shows a standard automotive unit seal .......back in the day these had graphite ring faces ,a modern one will be ceramic ,and possibly the impeller will have to be machined to fit the ceramic ring .........nothing precision,just a face off............Do replace the seal,as the old rubber bellows will crack for sure if reused 

• Greenie 1

Did find that  as well and contacted the seller. Exactly the same basic pump but the  pulley is an interference fit and not compatible as the V is too close to the body by about 2" and the shaft end is not compatible with the existing pulley.

Took a chance and ordered bearings from Ashley Power in Poole on 1 day delivery. Simple generic sealed bearings imperial. Sent to Yarmouth IOW and fitted them myself aboard with a few tools. Pump fitted back and engine back in commission.

Thanks for your help all.

John

• Greenie 1