Is this a fault or a feature? Isolation transformer internals...

Paringa

Featured Posts

Hello all,

Just purchased a new Isolation Transformer and taken off the cover and found this. See pic.

I thought initially it was a capacitor that had spewed its insides out but now i think it may be some silicone? Certainly feels like that.

Can one of you experts cast your eyes across it and see what you think.

I have contacted the seller and am not able to test it by connecting to shore power... But i don't want to do that until the seller gives me the okay.

Am i worrying unduly?

1.jpg

IMG_20230624_151929_resized_20230624_032117128.jpg

IMG_20230624_160208_resized_20230624_040315467.jpg

It's an adhesive of some sort. Stops vibration causing fatigue damage to the capacitor leads. Failed electrolytic caps don't look like that. Victron may have had some failures of the caps in that position, so added the glue to stop them moving. All is fine!

Some pics of failed electrolytic capacitors and some with glue on them here.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, pearley said:

Just so it doesn't surprise you once connected, the Victron isolation transformer gives a 10% higher output than input. The halogen lamp in our oven didn't like it.

Most transformers do this, if feeding a Victon Combi you have to alter the acceptable input voltage or the combi  shuts down.

Edited by GUMPY