Mooring idea...?

captain flint

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, PeterF said:

I expect that a small diameter wire rope that rubs along the armco as boats pass will wear through a few strands, which will then lift and make a good source of finger piercing sharp pointed objects. Wire rops is great but rubbing contact is not its forte.

You could always thread the wire through a sacrificial length of hose pipe, replacing as necessary. 

Edited by Ronaldo47
  • Greenie 2

4 hours ago, jacko264 said:

The trailer cable is only 3mm thick  

yeah plus it's electrical cable! I had a proper look. I'm getting some 5mm cable with soft loop ends. Just an experiment. Might not be worth it but it's not gonna break the bank either

3 hours ago, MtB said:

Probably has a breaking strain of a couple of tonnes then.

yeah but it's not even proper cable, it's for brake lights! Does say it has a wound steel core for strength iirc, but there are other similar items that are just cable. I'm gonna have a play with one of them instead

3 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

You could always thread the wire through a sacrificial length of hose pipe, replacing as necessary. 

this is a good thought! Though now I think some more on it, I reckon if I can get hose through the gap, it's most likely big enough to pass the links of my mooring chain through. But maybe I have some thinner plastic tubing knocking around, calorifier type plastic pipe rather than garden hose

Edited by captain flint

• 3 months later...
On 17/06/2023 at 20:04, MtB said:

Probably has a breaking strain of a couple of tonnes then.

I ordered some plastic coated 4mm steel cable (6mm including the plastic coating) , 60cm long, with a loop at each end.

It's been brilliant. I can wiggle it through little gaps too small for my mooring chain links to get through. 

Brilliant, that is, until I left it on the towpath somewhere. 

Edited by captain flint

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/06/2023 at 16:39, magnetman said:

Another approach is to fashion a length of channel section about 3"x1" and 3 feet long and drop it in the gap. Drill a hole and put a shackle at the top for the rope. If the piling is not badly distorted it will tend to wedge itself in place and be easy to withdraw. 

2 feet long will probably suffice. If you had some holes in it you could alter the height of the securing point by putting a threaded rod through with a bolt each side thereby preventing the boat from pulling it upwards. image.png.662d06ff8893c7c85f43336b2360f07a.png

• Greenie 1