Dangerous lockie behaviour on the C&H

LadyG

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, adam1uk said:

I don’t think it’s supposed to have happened yesterday.

No, I think it was several days ago. Lady G started a thread about what she thought was incorrect operating methods and said she had complained to C&RT. A few days later, she started this thread having received a reply from C&RT which was not to her liking ie they couldn't identify who the culprit was and therefore no one had been sacked , been hauled over the coals or been given proper training 🙂 .

The worst culprit for doing C&H locks badly I've encountered not only opened the spike-operated ground paddle with his back to the lock (is there any other way?) but also continued to keep his back to the boat whilst talking to a member of the public until my tiller was close to the level of the overhang

Unfortunately that was me, so I've been unable to persuade the CRT to sack him :) 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, haggis said:

No, I think it was several days ago. Lady G started a thread about what she thought was incorrect operating methods and said she had complained to C&RT. A few days later, she started this thread having received a reply from C&RT which was not to her liking ie they couldn't identify who the culprit was and therefore no one had been sacked , been hauled over the coals or been given proper training 🙂 .

Some clarification from LadyG as to when and where would help. On the other thread she did allude to it being at Battyeford which was painted yesterday. As it's the same CNS team painting the locks in that area at the moment all I have said still applies.

13 hours ago, LadyG said:

There are no instructions on most locks, and one learns by experience, there is no training course.

Every hire boater will have received basic instruction in boat and lock operation before taking the boat out. There are many providers of boat handling courses. CRT provides a range of resources on boating safely. There is plenty of opportunity for those who are inexperienced to learn.

Edited by David Mack

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

Every hire boater will have received basic instruction in boat and lock operation before taking the boat out. There are many providers of boat handling courses. CRT provides a range of resources on boating safely. There is plenty of opportunity for those who are inexperienced to learn.

I had the impression that the OP is far from being an inexperienced newby?? I've boated over much of the UK (but admittedly not the Calder and Hebble other than a BWB promotion trip back in the 60s) and a lot of continental Europe. So there has obviously been a lot of locks of a type I'd not met before. I wouldn't say that everything has always gone exactly to plan and there certainly have been the odd blips, but with an understanding of the basic principles and a lot of care we've never been anywhere to have the sort of experience the OP complains of. Perhaps I've just been lucky.

Perhaps too there was no social media back in the day, so you just moaned a bit to friends in the pub, not to the world at large, and I think that is really what I take exception to.

Tam

Edited by Tam & Di
  • Greenie 1

15 hours ago, Midnight said:

Below is LadyG's answer on the other volockie thread. I'll add some context here as it's more relevant.

"I don't know why it is relevant, that lock has a notice with white painted posts, the beams were newly black and white. They had been painting a few locks over the previous few days, I know this because I asked them, as I did not want my boat or my ropes contaminated. Battyford was one of the locks I went through, but I did other locks too."

Those people painting Battyford Lock are members of the Calder & Hebble Navigation Society (the people who kept the C&H open when the powers that be wished to close it) They are doing voluntary work on behalf of C&RT. I would estimate that between them they have about 200 years experience in both boatng and maintaining the C&H. At least one is a C&RT Vollie as well. You were asked if you wanted assistance, presumably you accepted, then you complain that one of them turned his back on you whilst opening a paddle. What were the others doing if not keeping an eye on proceeding?  Battyford is one of the longer C&H locks. I know those people and I can vouch for their competency. After reading some of your past posts including your rudder issues I suggest your account is a little over dramatic. However I will contact the CNS tomorrow and if they wish to respond I will post their side of the story.

As I said the T&M society do , its the only way locks see any paint today