Certificate of conformity

umpire111

Featured Posts

I have a boat which I took possession of on 1.6.20. A certificate of conformity was issued re boat safety…. Safety Certificate: RCDDC (date of issue 01/06/2020). Can’t seem to find out how 

ong this lasts, searched the BSC site but no luck.

tx

18 minutes ago, umpire111 said:

I have a boat which I took possession of on 1.6.20. A certificate of conformity was issued re boat safety…. Safety Certificate: RCDDC (date of issue 01/06/2020). Can’t seem to find out how 

ong this lasts, searched the BSC site but no luck.

tx

If you mean boat safety scheme certificate, these last 4 years.

So you will need ti have passed another one before 01/06/2024.

Hang on, the OP may be on about the RCD (now RCR) certificate. See RCDDC (date of issue 01/06/2020).

If so the RCD/RCR part should last for the life of the boat or until a major alteration is made that requires reassessing. The other replies are correct in that the RCD/RCR certificate stands in for a BSS certificate for the first four years.

If it is the RCR/RCD then I just hope the BSS examiner does not find any non-compliant (with the BSS) problems with it.

48 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

If it is the RCR/RCD then I just hope the BSS examiner does not find any non-compliant (with the BSS) problems with it.

Indeed. 

On the one hand the requirements of the RCR far exceed the BSS in most areas of overlap. On the other hand the boat builder simply declares his new boat complies, banks the money and disappears into the sunset (if he is of the cowboy persuasion).

But even if the builder is still in business, the first BSS falls due when the new boat reaches four years old and the builder might say the boat is out of guarantee and he isn't fixing any shortcomings. 

Edited by MtB
spelling

11 hours ago, MtB said:

Indeed. 

On the one hand the requirements of the RCR far exceed the BSS in most areas of overlap. On the other hand the boat builder simply declares his new boat complies, banks the money and disappears into the sunset (if he is of the cowboy persuasion).

But even if the builder is still in business, the first BSS falls due when the new boat reaches four years old and the builder might say the boat is out of guarantee and he isn't fixing any shortcomings. 

Tx, think I understand

13 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I wouldn't hold your breath.

On our first new boat back in 2007, the batteries were not secured, not all isolator locations marked and the generator fuel tank vent was not far enough above the water level.

On our current one, different builder, the batteries are not secured, there is no isolator for the bow thruster battery, again not all isolator locations marked and no CO monitor fitted. And the HIN/CIN does not appear on the outside but I'm not bothered about that.

Edited by pearley

21 minutes ago, pearley said:

I wouldn't hold your breath.

On our first new boat back in 2007, the batteries were not secured, not all isolator locations marked and the generator fuel tank vent was not far enough above the water level.

On our current one, different builder, the batteries are not secured, there is no isolator for the bow thruster battery, again not all isolator locations marked and no CO monitor fitted. And the HIN/CIN does not appear on the outside but I'm not bothered about that.

This does show what a farce the RCD/RCR is for inland boats. None of those things would have happened if the RCD/RCR was adequately enforced. It clearly is not so, the sooner the BSS refuses to accept it as an equivalent, the better for ordinary boaters. At least new boats would then have to have some kind of inspection before handover. However, despite what some members claim, it is an important document if and when it comes time to resell via a broker.