New sailaway cranage charges

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Cheshire cat said:

I think you are on a learning curve. It's a bit like when you have a car serviced. These days they quote a price and then add on consumables, PPE and even environmental disposal charges. 

I think all charges should have been explained to you in a perfect world. Last time we had our boat painted shed hire was an unexpected charge. Personally, I felt it should have been included in the quote received so it was a bit of a surprise when it was split out from the rest of the bill. 

My garage doesnt do that.

I get a fixed price that includes everything.

On 03/05/2023 at 20:45, magnetman said:

Is it normal to use a broker when buying a new boat? 

I'd have thought one would be dealing with the fabricator/shell builder. 

Why do you need a broker for this? 

I wonder if there some confused language here. 

The boat is a Collingwood and the only way of getting without a 12 month wait was to get it through Wincham wharf because they hove slots booked all the time, or a deal with them so they can get a quick window

• Greenie 1

On 03/05/2023 at 20:01, Mike Tee said:

Let's hope it floats when it eventually does go in the water - maybe its just me, but if I were buying a new boat I'd not be paying until it was in the water, which is what we did when we did buy a new boat! (And the first person onboard was the builder to make sure there were no leaks)

I thought most builders required stage payments before and during the build? It sounds quite unusual not to pay anything for a new build until it's launched. That's what I did but perhaps I'm out of touch with what happens these days?

On 03/05/2023 at 20:45, magnetman said:

Is it normal to use a broker when buying a new boat? 

I bought a new boat through a broker. I got quotes from the builder and the broker and I got a better deal from the broker so I went with them.

On 03/05/2023 at 23:03, MtB said:

If the OP really did use a broker to buy a brand new sailaway they probably already paid an hefty profit margin to the broker on top of the sailaway build price.

Not necessarily. See above. ⬆️

* I do sometimes wish people wouldn't adopt a condescending tone and automatically talk to new members/new boaters on this forum like they must be stupid by default. Why not ask questions and find out instead? Sometimes you make yourselves look silly when it turns out it's actually you with all your experience who doesn't know what you're talking about! 🤣

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 2

Our experience with a new boat was about 25 years ago - 60' fully fitted for about £70k. Stage payments of (going on memory!) £500 deposit, a further £10k when shell finished (and I owned the shell at that point), another two lots of £10k and £20k each at recognised build points, then the last nearly £30k fully finished and floating to everybodys satisfaction. It came out bang on original quote and we couldn't fault it or the builder and fitter.

Incidentally, at no time had I paid for work still to be done, the balance was always in my favour and I owned the shell, so financially all in my favour as at that time numerous builders were going broke leaving many unfortunate folk tens of thousands in the hole.

I believe there is a brokerage acting as agents for Collingwood. Can't remember which but I have visited their website.

Normal for boats, pay for lift onto transport, pay for transport, pay for lift off transport.  It seems she didn't have to pay for the lift on. Lucky there.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Peanut said:

I believe there is a brokerage acting as agents for Collingwood. Can't remember which but I have visited their website.

Normal for boats, pay for lift onto transport, pay for transport, pay for lift off transport.  It seems she didn't have to pay for the lift on. Lucky there.

When I bought a new shell back in the mists of time, I paid for the transport from Daventry and the lift off the lorry at this end. The builder put it on the lorry for free. 

On 03/05/2023 at 17:31, blackrose said:

I think I'd be asking to see the relevant terms and conditions in the contract that the broker is basing this additional charge on. I'd just be pointing out that perhaps in the context of the tens of thousands of pounds being paid to the broker for the boat & delivery, the additional charge for cranage is a bit unreasonable. You can only ask - without becoming confrontational.

I pushed to have the delivery charge removed and they relented and dropped it. I ended up just paying to have the boat put into the water 🙂

• Greenie 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've had word this evening that they'll come out to fix it on Friday about lunch time. Not what I wanted but at least they are coming.  I think a week is a bit much though

Things I've learned

1) Always carry jump leads

2) Never expect a rush, after all, it is a slow life

3) Always have spare water for emergencies 

4) Take good advice and ignore condescending comments

5) Pay attention to the warning lights

6) Be humble

7) Learn more