Replacement windows frames including cockpit for Norman 23 boat

Featured Posts

Am potentially looking at getting some new windows/frames for my Norman 23 boat due to constant leaks.  I have never removed them but have made several attempts to reseal them without luck, am thinking of starting from scratch and replacing both the side, 2 front windows and the houdini hatch along with a new cockpit window.
Struggling really with how to go about this or what to do, any recommendations?
If it’s new windows how has everyone gone about this in the past to get the exact sizes right?  Does the company send someone out to measure or do you need to send them a template?
Or even are my current windows salvageable? It has been suggested to remove the windows and reseal them replacing any rubbers.
Also the cockpit window it just seems a real task to sort them out and to find someone to manufacture those, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Am really interested to see peoples experience in this.
Photos attached

38AA798A-AA5C-41F4-B4DF-7243C5C55F72.jpeg

09256552-CB29-4850-B7FB-FD7B32AE4F0A.jpeg

85D5A2A3-0573-45D0-B395-8FF3D457FB35.jpeg

First, decide if the leaks are between cabin side and frame or through joints in the frame. If the latter, Eagle Marine Windows might be able to rebuild them. If the former, then the frames need to come out, the old sealing removed, and then replaced with new sealant.

I would suggest either closed cell neoprene foam or butyl mastic strip. Avoid combined sealer adhesives.

Remove all the screws through the frame around the outside of the window. Now your problems start if the frames were sealed with any sort of sealant with adhesive properties. Take care that you do not distort the frames, work around them with a thin "blade" like a paint scraper between frame and cabin side. Good luck.

• Greenie 1

As Tony says. Butyl in cartridge form is easier to ensure a good seal though.  

I will add though tat they can be a real pain in the arse. so plan ahead and dont rush it if rebuilding them. 

to get them made its best to call all local marine window makers and get quotes. some will come out some want templates sent to them. if so remove yours and draw around them on thick paper or card. can be a long turnaround though so be prepared to cover the boat with a good tarp.

As the 2 experienced posters have said above, I think your only option is to remove them and refurbish them yourself or get a quote from Eagle Marine. I'm dubious you could get new windows made for the boat but it would cost thousands if you did find a company. I got a quote for a new windscreen from Viking about 5 years ago (I don't own a Viking but long story I won't bore you with) and that quote was over £3,000.

Edited by Boatless in Bristol
  • Greenie 1

As far as I can tell from the photos the metalwork of your existing frames looks to be OK. In which case what is the point of replacing it with new? I think your best course if action is to remove the existing windows, clean them up, replace the rubbers, push some sealant into the joints if they are open, and then refit. You can do them one at a time so you can judge after doing one if it has been successful.

• Greenie 1

Just thought I would add a few close up pics of the boat windows from inside and outside. No experience of removing these so worried I’ll make a mess, but suppose it could save me a fare wack. I’ve also included the hatch, again any guidance or photos / previous completed tasks would be greatly appreciated.

D6FECCE8-DB44-4111-801C-F02CB2122BA9.jpeg

899A7A1D-A0FA-476E-B119-24A71B2CCC2A.jpeg

Can’t put the outside close ups on because the file size is too large

Looking at the photos I wonder if the screws are actually what I think are called "interlinks", as used to join kitchen units carcasses together. That is a machine screw and a mated larger diameter one with a threaded hole up the centre. It may be worth trying to take one out to see. The inside shots seem to show aluminium trim strips and I suspect the cabin side is not thick enough to accept self tappers inside and out. Interlinks seem an ideal solution.