Lift pump/cam lobe 1.8 BMC

Ocean30

Featured Posts

I have reflected and rotated the second image so it is comparable with the top one. It seems to me that the operating face of the lever on the bottom photo is in a different vertical position to the top one when viewed relative to the mounting flange. This suggests to me that the top one will fit above the eccentric, so the eccentric will have less or no effect on it.

6E9756B5-5271-4DD2-A628-AD27E179048A.jpeg

lp1.8.jpg.57fd69e28958e43255cf5c1fa690b687.jpg

Still wasn’t lifting enough fuel to the filter, if any. Engine would run then die as it was being starved of fuel. It had been primed by hand when we had it going then as stated. Would die out. 

47 minutes ago, Ocean30 said:

Still wasn’t lifting enough fuel to the filter, if any. Engine would run then die as it was being starved of fuel. It had been primed by hand when we had it going then as stated. Would die out. 

Well, it sounds very much as if the eccentric is badly worn, but I would check that the valves in the old pump are not clogged. Take the ring of screws out that hold the body together and invert the top half. You will see the valves. Put back together and before tightening the screws, use the priming lever to pull the diaphragm down whilst tightening the screws.

The original pump will have developed more free play before it pumps as it has worn. The amount the arm needs to move is very little even when new. I would check the old pump as Tony suggests, check the diaphragm has not gone stiff, that the valves close fully, clean the filter under the top if there is one.

Slip a piece of tight fitting plastic hose over the arm and refit it.

I still don't think that the new pump is correct for this engine.

On 28/03/2023 at 02:54, john.k said:

might also be interested to know for the last 25 years Jap diesels in cars and utes dont have lift pumps at all.........the injector pump pulls fuel up from the tank ,through a filter and into the pump,all without the aid of a lift pump.

A 2008 Transit with a 2.4 Duratorq engine didn't have a lift pump. It could be an utter pig to start. No sign of any air ingress and even changed the filter body and other fittings. As a partial solution I fitted a Facet fuel pump that only ran when cranking!

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I still don't think that the new pump is correct for this engine.

The 'problem' is that the arm has to be lifted up against the internal spring in the pump, while poking the arm through the hole in the block and not being able to see what you are doing. Best bet is to insert the pump at a ridiculous angle so the arm goes up between the cam and the crankcase, push the body towards the block to compress the spring and bolt it in place before your arms get tired

The picture isn't clear if the arm is in the working position or if it has dropped down to the bottom of the housing. The shape of the arm seems to be correct

First one I did, I  got the arm underneath the cam - meaning it didn't work. Now I've learned

Richard