Dual Battery Terminals

Featured Posts

Hi All

If you have batteries that have the usual studs, but also a threaded post is there a best practice with what to connect to?  Do you still get the stud clamps or if the screw post is the right size, make full use of that?  Interested in any views... I have my eyes on replacing my batteries shortly when they come into stock and wandering if the dual offers any benefit?

image.png.65136874cc6da78fd0b00a4c8540f4c6.png

thanks

rob

5 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Hi All

If you have batteries that have the usual studs, but also a threaded post is there a best practice with what to connect to?  Do you still get the stud clamps or if the screw post is the right size, make full use of that?  Interested in any views... I have my eyes on replacing my batteries shortly when they come into stock and wandering if the dual offers any benefit?

image.png.65136874cc6da78fd0b00a4c8540f4c6.png

thanks

rob

In caravanning circles they just provide an alternative way to connect if there are different connections on the leads.. I would say 99% just use the post to connect as there is no discernable difference. (Somebody will be along shortly to disagree).

Ps to add, the threaded terminal can be used to attach an additional cicuit such as that required by a motor mover.

4 minutes ago, magnetman said:

When I had lead batteries I did make sure they had the M8 stud and connected to it. Don't like the clamps at all. 

Same here. Just got one with both. The stud is much better than the clamp imo. 

16 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

thanks for the replies.... 

Just to state the bleedin obvious ie if you already have clamps (we did on the boat) if you decide that the threaded ones are better you will have to swap the connectors on every lead, all the pos and neg ones.

I personally dont think it worth the effort (somebody will be along shortly to disagree, again).

Paging @nicknorman for a view.

11 hours ago, M_JG said:

Just to state the bleedin obvious ie if you already have clamps (we did on the boat) if you decide that the threaded ones are better you will have to swap the connectors on every lead, all the pos and neg ones.

I personally dont think it worth the effort (somebody will be along shortly to disagree, again).

Paging @nicknorman for a view.

Cheers... I've been partly planning for this since i replaced the battery leads so they are already the right type/ size.

Count the connections .  Each connection (post to clamp to cables or stud to cables,) has a voltage drop.  If well made this is minute, but not all are well made all the time. 

N

Depending on the battery clamps you have, often even if using the tapered fitting, the leads will terminate in a crimped on tube lug giving an 8mm eye anyway.

At which point, especially if your taper fittings are aging, you could likely switch to using the 8mm terminals without complication and pottenally even a small cost saving on not replacing the taper lug adapters. 

I expect the performance difference of either is negligible however.

71N5tMlZYQL._AC_SX679_.jpg