Smartguage still the unit of choice?

PaulG

Featured Posts

35 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Isn't the recommendation that it should be below 2% and nearer 1% is better.

10% capacity of my 1300Ah battery bank is 130 amps which I never get going in right from the start - let alone as a tail current.

I am sure it is a typo - look at the numbers he quotes. Should be 1%

4 hours ago, churchward said:

As far as I am aware, Merlin equipment bought Smartgauge from the original designer/inventor (Gibbo) and they sold it to Balmar but also retain selling it under license along with the Smartbank split charging system.

The Balmar SG200 is not a reverse-engineered product but a development from the Smartgauge product with its SW.  Gibbo was working on a shunt and smartgauge product when he sold it to Merlin but I do not know if that has emerged as the SG200.

You have confirmed a vague memory I had, regarding something Gibbo had posted some years ago.

Bod

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Isn't the recommendation that it should be below 2% and nearer 1% is better.

10% capacity of my 1300Ah battery bank is 130 amps which I never get going in right from the start - let alone as a tail current.

Sorry yes you're correct. That's actually what I meant.

On 11/03/2023 at 19:55, Bod said:

You have confirmed a vague memory I had, regarding something Gibbo had posted some years ago.

Bod

Not according to marinehowto -- they could be wrong, but were involved in the Balmar development so probably not... 😉