Beta Super Silent enclosures

Featured Posts

Morning all.

Anyone with a Beta "SuperSilent" acoustic engine enclosure on here?

I've a Beta50S on order and am planning the layout of pipes and cables.   

I need to run the calorifier feed and return in flexible heater hose running forward to the main dividing bulkhead, then at 90 degrees along the bulkhead, back aft and then round into the calorifier coil.   Hoping to do those runs in continuous lengths obviously - and hoping therefore that those bends (if made gentle not in a way to collapse the hose) is okay.

And then with regard supporting the hose - is the casing of the acoustic enclosure suitable to affix some supporting rails to into which those hoses can be clipped/tied, tight up against the body of the enclosure?  

The alternative is to have some external supports potentially welded in - either coming up off the baseplate to create a sort of shelf or such like. 

Be really grateful of any pictures anyone has of their set up using the acoustic housing and routing and support of hoses and cables 

image.png.23ccd986037b97d619c54e4ed92d30df.png

On mine all hoses and cables run through the bottom panel.

I'm sure the enclosure would support some clips/light brackets but I'd be hesitant to attach stuff to the outside of it because it would all have to be dismounted to get the sides of the enclosure off, which you'd need to do when servicing.

The rear panel of mine is bolted to the bottom tray. I've never taken it off because the exhaust and prop shaft pass though it.

The front panel is bolted to the front of the bottom tray.

The top panel rests on the tops of the side panels and is held down with quick release clips. It has two pins that locate in the end panels. There is a hatch for access to the dipstick and coolant cap.

The side panels and are not fixed and rest on a lip on the bottom tray. They are held in by the top panel's quick release clips.

Typically when servicing I will need to remove all but the back panel for access to the sides and front of the engine.

Here's the a picture of the setup of mine from the side. As you can see all the hoses and cables come out below the left side panel.

supersilent_011-540x500.jpg

It would be a  good idea to fit a remote oil filler as with the sound proof case, it is tucked away inside and is rather hard to change the engine oil!

Beta do the additional piping and oil filters. I had intended to move mine at some stage, so I could change the oil and easily change the oils filter instead of loosing a good proportion of used oil into the bilges where it is difficult to get too,  and having to refit half of the sound  box.

I never looked forward to changing Largo's oil, but as usual it was done regular dispited the dificulty of stripping downthe soundproof box and lifting soundproof sides out of the way, usually onto the towpath!

Nipper

Not saying its the right or wrong way but if I was doing the job I wouldn't attach anything to the housing. Personally I would make some sort of support rail and attach to engine beds. Then all pipework could be clipped to this.

9 hours ago, Steve56 said:

Not saying its the right or wrong way but if I was doing the job I wouldn't attach anything to the housing. Personally I would make some sort of support rail and attach to engine beds. Then all pipework could be clipped to this.

If it's a similar enclosure to my Beta Genset then the only bit that's not removable is a 70mm strip at the bottom of each side. I would go with Steve and mount them off the enclosure.

Good stuff - I can put in a support rail that comes off the engine bearers and runs parallel to the housing.    

As an aside - how do you find it?   Do you think it makes a noticeable difference?    It was one of those decisions that felt like "we're spending this much, may as well get the acoustic enclosure too...." ! 

I agree with ‘aread2’, I have a Beta enclosure of this type, the sides and top of the enclosure need to be removed for access.

Daily checks are easy, oil, water, and alternator belts, that is, via a small access cover.

Oil change, (with stb’d side removed) the filter is low on the starboard side, with care and a poly bag over the filter it is an awkward operation; if it is stiff a strap wrench may be necessary. Oil spills get into the base of the enclosure, a rag drawn back and forward on a bit of string under the engine, I use to clean up. Being a nice cream finish oil spills are obvious.

Fuel filter, (with stb,d side removed), easy as it is high up, a button on the top of the filter is easy to purge the fuel.

Air shift through the enclosure is essential to manage alternator temperature, flow in through the front through louvres, and out via a large hose (10cm) to atmosphere through port side of boat.

For access, the covers are heavy and a bit unwieldy, but after a bit of practice, it is manageable.

Finish, this is powder coated on steel, so good a durable.

Operation is very quiet, and all worth the effort, adds value. After 12 years the engine looks as new.