Best heating methods

JemShaun

Featured Posts

FWIW I find a reciprocating saw with a Bosch wet wood blade in will deal with most of the limbs I cut off my trees. The blades stay sharper for longer than a chain saw and I feel it is far safer. The limbs can 6" or more diameter. After allowing to dry for a year, I log the lengths with a chop saw and season for another two years. The brush is cut off when taken down and chipped for mulch - all at home though.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Higgs said:

Yes, I wear a hi-vis piece of kit, forestry hard hat, visor and ear defenders, safety glasses, working boots, working gloves. Got to admit, two pairs of working trousers have to suffice, at the moment, for the proper leg gear. I've seen someone using an electric chainsaw, I presume you meant battery operated. Mains isn't easy to have as a convenient power source. With batteries, you've always got the problem of having enough battery power to do the work. If stealth is necessary, I'd probably use the bow saw. 

I've got a 20" blade chainsaw. It's not for massive stuff, but it's been adequate, so far. The chain oil is used up almost as fast as the fuel, which I didn't realise would be the case, at first. I have a petrol suitcase generator, so I have petrol around for that, and the chainsaw. 

I would say 20" is big, for the majority of my professional chainsaw work my ground saws had 13" bars, I personally find the balance better, which makes it safer, plus the engine can drive the chain easier, so less likely to bog down.

Chain oil use is generally oil tank to petrol tank when the pump is full chat, they are designed like this so you never run out of chain oil before you run out of fuel.

• Greenie 2

Delimbing is a useful term.

I did get a tree felling certificate many yars ago but as was not intending to go into business which needed a chainsaw decided not to get one.

I also dislike the digging effect and the chips left behind. It seems to be a bit of a messy arrangement which wastes too much of the wood.

Some of the Stihl cordless saws look pretty nice especially the MSA 200.