Government confirms Alternative Fuel Payment dates for domestic customers

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

I have today receivedan email from my 'kero' (home heating oil) supplier - the attached is self explanatory :

So we now know how 'off grid' (no main gas supply) will get their £200. Still up in the air if you don't have an electricity 'account'.

Government confirms Alternative Fuel Payment dates for domestic customers

The Government has announced this morning that the Alternative Fuel Payment of £200 will be made in February 2023. These payments will be made via electricity suppliers alongside the Electricity Bills Support Scheme Payments. It is likely to be early in the month as the majority of the electricity bill support payments are made early in the month. You do not need to do anything to receive this money.

For those customers without an electricity account and other exceptions, they will be able to apply through a governmental portal in February. We welcome the extra clarity and our advice to customers remains the same which is to purchase their heating oil as usual ahead of cold weather.  

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

So we now know how 'off grid' (no main gas supply) will get their £200. Still up in the air if you don't have an electricity 'account'.

Don't be silly.

Why would they give grants to voters, (oops I meant households) with no electricity account? Its hardly as if they will be tories is it? 

54 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

The application was originally going to be through a government wotsit in mid January. Now it's February. Make sure you've got your ID ready.

I'm presuming that this £200 grant is different (in addition) to the £400 grant discussed in the ither thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Received another update from my supplier - it appears that if you do not have an electricity supplier the Government will use a post code check to presumably ensure you are who you say you are.

This week the government has provided more information regarding the £200 alternative fuel payment being issued to all heating oil users. We now understand that these payments will start to be processed from February 6th.

All our Heating Oil customers should be aware of the following:

• Customers have been identified using an off the gas grid database and recent census information.
  • The majority of customers will receive their £200 automatically via their electricity supplier starting on February 6, in a similar fashion to other recent government payments (direct debit, credit to account or voucher).
  • There will be some small exceptions – for example customers that don’t have an electricity account or those that use oil but live in a gas grid area. These customers will need to apply via an online portal which will be open in February alongside a post code checker.

We expect further information closer to February 6th and will continue to update customers as soon as we know more.

• Greenie 1

• 3 weeks later...