Bollard Oopsie

Kiwidad

Featured Posts

On 04/01/2023 at 18:24, Loddon said:

Trying to sink a tug with a bollard missile.

"Between 30 and 35 people were on the pier waiting for Star Clipper and other river services. As the vessel made the approach, her mate, standing at the port passenger entrance, passed the eye of a polypropylene berthing rope over a pier bollard and secured it loosely onto one of the vessel’s bollards. The captain manoeuvred Star Clipper to align with the pier and vessel passenger gates. When the vessel was about 1.5m from the pier, the rope was secured and slight ahead power maintained to bring

her alongside.

Just prior to coming alongside, Star Clipper’s mooring bollard was torn from the deck and was catapulted over the 1.1m pier safety fence. It struck one of the waiting passengers, causing fatal injuries."

https://www.gov.uk/maib-reports/failure-of-mooring-bollard-on-passenger-vessel-star-clipper-at-st-katharine-s-pier-river-thames-england-with-loss-of-1-life

Edited by David Mack

On 04/01/2023 at 13:52, Scholar Gypsy said:

This seems like a good place to share this recent video...

"If the damaged Buda Bridge in Brussels does not reopen soon, the Capital Region's supply of petrol and heating oil will be compromised as it is the only passage to the Port of Brussels for freight traffic from the north."

https://www.brusselstimes.com/345758/blocked-buda-bridge-threatens-brussels-fuel-supplies

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Peanut said:

This seems like a good place to share this recent video...

I like that his radar scanner was working right up on the bow.

Looking at some other videos of this bridge, the deck seems to be lifted fairly late, as the boat is approaching.  There is an obvious risk if the approaching boat is going too fast.  

I was struck, when going through some of the boat lifts in Belgium last year, by the very substantial fender bars that were lowered in place to protect the gates from an approaching barge. They were also instructed to approach the lift very slowly... This one is at Ronquieres. You can see it slots into the tank, a meter or two away from the gate. Note the missing portion of rubber strip ...

dsc_7830.jpg

On 29/12/2022 at 14:29, sigsegv said:

Anyone else got to a lock you intend to go up, started filling it, and after about 5 minutes realised most locks work better when you actually put your boat in the thing?

No? Just me then 😅

Better than that. I've opened a swing bridge, letting the boat behind me through as agreed and shutting the bridge behind them, then realised I haven't moved my own boat through the bridge, then as I started to reopen the bridge realised my boat is also on the wrong side of the canal....

At which point a group of emergency services personnel turned up and needed the bridge kept open for them. The other boat had a long wait for me at the next bridge...

Edited by enigmatic