Making an offer subject to survey

themymble

Featured Posts

Hello everyone and I am happy to be here!

We have the funds in place for our new adventure and I would love your experince in confirming our next stage.

We have found a boat that is listed both on Apollo Duck and with a broker-do we make an offer subject to the all important survey and do we find a surveyor?

thank you

What area are you in? as people will recommend from their dealings with a particular surveyor in your catchment area. Do not let the Broker or seller pick a Surveyor for you. The Surveyor is working for you, not the seller or Broker and should have no ties with either.

Edited by PD1964

40 minutes ago, themymble said:

We have found a boat that is listed both on Apollo Duck and with a broker-do we make an offer subject to the all important survey and do we find a surveyor?

Read the brokers terms and conditions of sale - some brokers will have a clause saying that the deposit is non returnable for any reason, others may say that the deposit can only be returned if the repairs needed that are identified by the surveyor are more than (say) £10,000 or (say) 10% of the purchase price, or (say) 20% of the purchase price.

Other clauses may also not fit in with what you want.

Some may say, for example, you must exchange / pay in full within 7 working days of the date of the survey.

READ VERY CAREFULLY the T&Cs before making an offer, once you are happy THEN make an offer "subject to survey"

Remember the broker or the owner / seller are NOT legally obliged to inform you of any faults on the boat so ensure if there is anything that you have the slightest concerns about ask your surveyor to pay particular attention to those areas - could be as simple as 'water staining' of the wood surrounding the windows, a smell of damp / mould in the bathroom etc etc.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 3

30 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Read the brokers terms and conditions of sale - some brokers will have a clause saying that the deposit is non returnable for any reason, others may say that the deposit can only be returned if the repairs needed that are identified by the surveyor are more than (say) £10,000 or (say) 10% of the purchase price, or (say) 20% of the purchase price.

Some may say, for example, you must exchange / pay in full within 7 working days of the date of the survey.

READ VERY CAREFULLY the T&Cs before making an offer, once you are happy THEN make an offer "subject to survey"

Remember the broker or the owner / seller are NOT legally obliged to inform you of any faults on the boat so ensure if there is anything that you have the slightest concerns about ask your surveyor to pay particular attention to those areas - could be as simple as 'water staining' of the wood surrounding the windows, a smell of damp / mould in the bathroom etc etc.

What has that got to do with the OP’s question? Stick with the question she is asking stop scare mongering, there’s lots of clauses and T&C’s in a “Conditional sale subject to Survey sale agreement”  and a lot not relevant to canal boats. She is asking about a Surveyor, please don’t tie her up, confuse, make her have doubt with your posts.

Edited by PD1964
  • Haha 1
  • Angry 1

1 minute ago, PD1964 said:

What has that got to do with the OP’s question? Stick with the question she is asking stop scare mongering, there’s lots of clauses in a “Conditional sale subject to Survey” agreement a lot not relevant to canal boats. She is asking about a Surveyor, please don’t tie her up, confuse, make her have doubt with your posts.

I think this partly answers the OPs question, does it not? The other part answered by yourself in the second post.

Welcome aboard OP. Happy boating

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I think this partly answers the OPs question, does it not? The other part answered by yourself in the second post.

Welcome aboard OP. Happy boating

The OP is asking how to find a Surveyor, so I take it she has put an offer in subject to survey. There’s no need to confuse her. She simply wants a surveyor. Once she lets people know where the boat is, I’m sure she will have the advice/recommendations of the surveyors that cover that area. She does not need her head filled with irrelevant/confusing stuff at the minute.

13 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

What has that got to do with the OP’s question? Stick with the question she is asking stop scare mongering,

Are you having a bad day (again) ?

The OPs question was :

1 hour ago, themymble said:

I would love your experince in confirming our next stage.

They have found the boat they love and want to know what to do next.

Are you suggesting that she not read the T&Cs so that when they have paid the deposit, and after the survey, decide not to proceed the broker comes back and says "no return of deposit - didn't you read the T&Cs".

She / He / They should just say OK we didn't  never mind.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Are you having a bad day (again) ?

The OPs question was :

They have found the boat they love and want to know what to do next.

Are you suggesting that she not read the T&Cs so that when they have paid the deposit, and after the survey, decide not to proceed the broker comes back and says "no return of deposit - didn't you read the T&Cs".

She / He / They should just say OK we didn't  never mind.

Seemed like reasonable advice to me. Especially to someone not familiar with the process.

2 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

The OP is asking how to find a Surveyor, so I take it she has put an offer in subject to survey. There’s no need to confuse her. She simply wants a surveyor. Once she lets people know where the boat is, I’m sure she will have the advice/recommendations of the surveyors that cover that area. She does not need her head filled with irrelevant/confusing stuff at the minute.

do we make an offer subject to the all important survey and do we find a surveyor?

I read it as two separate questions. Either way, the OP now has all the information they came for, and a bit extra. I'm not sure extra information is ever a bad thing to have.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

so I take it she has put an offer in subject to survey

The OP has said :

1 hour ago, themymble said:

So they have not made an offer.

Maybe you should read what people write before getting on your high-horse.

1 minute ago, M_JG said:

Seemed like reasonable advice to me. Especially to someone not familiar with the process.

I’m sure if the OP uses the Forum Search engine, she would find near on identical questions that have been asked before in regards to the buying process and stages. As it’s one of the main questions people thinking about buying a boat have asked before

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The OP has said :

So they have not made an offer.

Maybe you should read what people write before getting on your high-horse.

Well the simple answer to her questions is “Yes” and “Yes” easy a that.

1 minute ago, PD1964 said:

I’m sure if the OP uses the Forum Search engine, she would find near on identical questions that have been asked before in regards to the buying process and stages. As it’s one of the main questions people thinking about buying a boat have asked before

We've discused this subject previously, possibly more than once.

I dont agree with you.

Just now, M_JG said:

We've discused this subject previously, possibly more than once.

I dont agree with you.

But you are basically agreeing to what I wrote, as you’ve stated it’s been discussed before more then once, so she should find the relevant answers using the search engine.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Is that 'yes' YOU agree YOU should read what people write before replying ?

Are you a “her”

Just now, PD1964 said:

But you are basically agreeing to what I wrote, as you’ve stated it’s been discussed before more then once, so she should find the relevant answers using the search engine.

Incorrect.

The subject you and I have discussed previously (and dont agree on) is the use of the search engine by newbies.

Not the issue the OP was asking about.

Dear OP. Please do not bother reading past this point, if indeed you are still on the forum at all, and have not been scared off.

What will likely follow is 3 pages of long held grudges held between old forum rivals in an attempt at one upmanship.

• Greenie 3

Just now, PD1964 said:

So why shouldn’t Newbies use the search engine to save time?

Im not going down that rabbit hole all over again

Youve already ruined the thread with an utterly pointless diversion.

36 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Dear OP. Please do not bother reading past this point, if indeed you are still on the forum at all, and have not been scared off.

What will likely follow is 3 pages of long held grudges held between old forum rivals in an attempt at one upmanship.

Hi, I have not been scared off 😆 I just wasnt sure whether brokers provided a list of surveyors who I would then contact or if I had to just search for random surveyors (I had correctly guessed not to trust a broker offering a surveyor in much the same way I would be suspicious of a dodgy garage and MOT's!). We are going to view it next weekend, a slight delay as I am off to Scotland on Friday, and we are obviously not daft enough to buy something without viewing and as my partners brother lives on his near Bath we know what size we want.

Anyway apologies for starting an argument

• Happy 2

1 minute ago, themymble said:

Hi, I have not been scared off 😆 I just wasnt sure whether brokers provided a list of surveyors who I would then contact or if I had to just search for random surveyors (I had correctly guessed not to trust a broker offering a surveyor in much the same way I would be suspicious of a dodgy garage and MOT's!). We are going to view it next weekend, a slight delay as I am off to Scotland on Friday, and we are obviously not daft enough to buy something without viewing and as my partners brother lives on his near Bath we know what size we want.

Then as @PD1964 said above, if you give the general location of the boat, forum member may be able to offer advice on surveyors they have used in the past. Whether they are available or not, is another matter.

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Then as @PD1964 said above, if you give the general location of the boat, forum member may be able to offer advice on surveyors they have used in the past. Whether they are available or not, is another matter.

Ahhh thank you...sorry missed that one in all the hullabaloo 😄 the boat is up Worcester way

48 minutes ago, themymble said:

Be aware that a survey is not the 'be all and end all'. The boat we boat we bought in 2009  (and sold in 2015) had a hidden fault with the pipework for the macerator loo. It wasn't exposed by the survey (we are sure the fault existed at the time even though it didnt come to light till later ). The reason was that the surveyor didnt cover items that required dismantling to access. Quite a common exclusion clause.

The 'dismantling' in this case was to simply lift the mattress and shine a torch under to inspect the pipework, pretty minimal but it meant no comeback.

With hindsight I would have been a lot more inquisitive myself when we viewed the boat and about exactly what was and wasn't covered by the survey.

Edited by M_JG

18 minutes ago, themymble said:

Oh don't apologise! Some Brokers do provide a list of Surveyors however it's best to do research (on here) and get recommendations. The best surveyors are usually busy and you might have to wait a while for a slot. 

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Seems perfectly good and pertinent advice to me. Especially given the variations between brokers in this regard....at one end of the scale some won't refund a deposit at all and at the other end some allow you to pull out for any reason with the deposit returned in full no questions asked (this is not common).

Edited by booke23