Trent winter opening times

Midnight

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, MartynG said:

What date do you have in mind ?

eg the next week or so looks fine for fitting in with the 8am to 4pm shift at Cromwell 

Then good again later in the month.

How about November in line with the winter stoppage season, dark nights and the non-tidal Trent locks?

Edited by Midnight

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

So that closes the river for anyone heading downstream /  North out of Nottingham for the best part of two months anyway.

Yes . 

I should have explained as  not everyone is familiar with the location.

3 hours ago, Midnight said:

Ironic really! Non tidal Trent locks manned 9.30 til 5.30 up to 30th October. Suppose they dont have to pay the vlockies so those being paid, work shorter shifts than those who don't get paid. 

Apparently C&RT are so tight fisted they have put  a cap on on the travelling expenses they pay their slaves (volunteers) .

I  don't know for sure but suspect an underlying dispute between employed  lock keepers and their employer. At one time, in recent memory,  the tidal locks were manned in summer until 9:30pm regardless of whether any boats were moving. I dare say it was  a sought after job to get the extra hours of the summer evening shift providing the long boring hours could be tolerated .

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

They will slowly shut that river down. 

It's almost unnavigable come summer anyway after the winter flooding and the growing sand and shingle banks.

Not so bad this year with regards to navigation . The drought did make it quite shallow just below Cromwell but we never grounded. I don't think we can blame C&RT for the drought.

And some dredging was completed early spring.

But the slow decline in standards  does continue. 

On 02/10/2022 at 09:02, Midnight said:

I see from October 1st C&RT have introduced winter opening times on the locks along the tidal Trent. I seem to recall in the past these used to be in force from November (?). There are boats heading North and because all three Pennine routes are still closed their only option is the Trent. These times add another layer of anxiety to those trying to plan tidal passages and get back to base. 

I am replying to this topic to ensure that anyone who may already not know is aware that advice, practical assistance, and onboard pilotage services are all available from semi-retired tug/bargemaster, and former member of CWDF, Tony Dunkley, based in Nottingham.

Tony is happy to provide a range of services from FoC advice on passage planning and making, via whatever means are most convenient, through to full onboard pilotage for the rivers Humber, Ouse and Trent.

Tony Dunkley can be contacted via the Thunderboat Forum at   <  https://thunderboat.boards.net  >

4 hours ago, GHL said:
I am replying to this topic to ensure that anyone who may already not know is aware that advice, practical assistance, and onboard pilotage services are all available from semi-retired tug/bargemaster, and former member of CWDF, Tony Dunkley, based in Nottingham.

Tony is happy to provide a range of services from FoC advice on passage planning and making, via whatever means are most convenient, through to full onboard pilotage for the rivers Humber, Ouse and Trent.

Tony Dunkley can be contacted via the Thunderboat Forum at   <  https://thunderboat.boards.net >

Stand by for the brick-bats.

Tony is the most knowlegable person I know regarding those stretches of water (I've spent 10+ years on the Trent and " I have much still to learn") his mode of delivery can often be  'blunt' but he is well worth listening to.

6 hours ago, GHL said:

Tony Dunkley can be contacted via the Thunderboat Forum at   <  https://thunderboat.boards.net >

Bugger! Just landed at Keadby yesterday I would have loved to have taken advice from Tony.

40 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Why? You seam to have managed the tidal Trent safely on your own, so would paying someone to aid you have made a difference? 

Did you miss this bit ................

10 hours ago, GHL said:

Tony is happy to provide a range of services from FoC advice on passage planning and making, via whatever means are most convenient, .......................

(FoC means Free of Charge)

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Did you miss this bit ................

(FoC means Free of Charge)

From FOC advise, but free of charge on board piloting the Humber/Trent?????

The OP obviously didn’t need any help, as he navigated the Trent and arrived safely. The Trent is all about confidence and not listening to scare mongers.

Edited by PD1964

9 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

The OP obviously didn’t need any help, as he navigated the Trent and arrived safely. The Trent is all about confidence and not listening to scare mongers.

He said he wish he has asked for advice - no mention of requiring a pilot service.

10 hours ago, Midnight said:

I would have loved to have taken advice from Tony.

I would like to meet Tony and if he had any advice to give I would be happy to listen. It's  true I have navigated the Trent several times in all conditions so wouldn't need a pilot  but always eager to learn from anyone with more experience. On this trip I put a FB post up asking about different ways to exit the river into Keadby. An experienced Trentman suggested I stick with what I'm used to. Turned out to be good advice.

7 hours ago, PD1964 said:

That is not sensible or responsible advice.     I do hope it is treated for what it is worth!

May I ask what level and length of experience of passage planning/making, and working tides you are basing it on?  

9 hours ago, PD1964 said:

The Trent is all about confidence and not listening to scare mongers.

I think what you are saying is you must be confident about the passage plan and then it can look very safe and easy.

I  found it best to make  my own plan as folks have some odd ideas which don't always  work out so well. My boat has  ample power so don't necessarily  follow me !

3 hours ago, GHL said:

That is not sensible or responsible advice.     I do hope it is treated for what it is worth!

May I ask what level and length of experience of passage planning/making, and working tides you are basing it on?  

I’m basing it on regulatory doing it, from Keadby to Cromwell and back. I find there’s a lot of scare mongers on here and people are put off doing it by the posts. You haven’t got to work the tides out, you have to plan your days you want to to it. Then you just phone the lock keeper and he will give you all the info with regards to tides/timings you need and when to exit. The hardest thing novices find is gauging their speed going to Keadby/Stockwith to arrive at slack water, they often arrive too early. I find that once people do it, they gain in confidence and realise how relatively easy it is(and boring). Yes you need your wits about you and don’t cut corners, but people have this perception about tidal rivers being too dangerous to do, which is often based on listening to people who haven’t done it regular or at all.

Edited by PD1964

37 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

I’m basing it on regulatory doing it, from Keadby to Cromwell and back. I find there’s a lot of scare mongers on here and people are put off doing it by the posts. You haven’t got to work the tides out, you have to plan your days you want to to it. Then you just phone the lock keeper and he will give you all the info with regards to tides/timings you need and when to exit. The hardest thing novices find is gauging their speed going to Keadby/Stockwith to arrive at slack water, they often arrive too early. I find that once people do it, they gain in confidence and realise how relatively easy it is(and boring). Yes you need your wits about you and don’t cut corners, but people have this perception about tidal rivers being too dangerous to do, which is often based on listening to people who haven’t done it regular or at all.

Of course you are correct that many boaters avoid/worry about the tidal Trent, some of my friends do so. I'm not sure it's about scaremongers, perhaps more about listening to what's required but not being confident about handling the rare ocassion when things go awry. The Trent Link Facebook page is a very welcome resource and I think will go a long way to build the confidence you mentioned. I have done the Keadby to Cromwell run several times and if I have a choice I would choose a big spring tide. Coming back to Keadby fills me with trepidation I don't know why, maybe it's because I haven't done it more than a few times.

25 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

You just phone the lock keeper and he will give you all the info with regards to tides/timings you need and when to exit. 

I always look up the tide times and work it out for myself.

I even  look at tide times well in advance when booking  holiday dates involving  tidal trips . That way there is no surprise regarding the time to travel.

I find  it helps when booking a lock if I know the time I wish to go .  The lock keeper can vary that time of course , depending on  factors like other boat movements .

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

. Coming back to Keadby fills me with trepidation I don't know why, maybe it's because I haven't done it more than a few times.

It is certainly a lot easier going upstream compared to downstream.

2 hours ago, Midnight said:

Coming back to Keadby fills me with trepidation I don't know why, maybe it's because I haven't done it more than a few times.

I've done it a fair number of times but I always find it daunting too. I normally start thinking about it as I exit Cromwell lock..

It's not exactly an inviting place in the best weather,  and high walls/steep mud banks don't lend themselves to an emergency landing. Heading for Cromwell with it's low grassy banks and gravel beaches is completely different.