Have second hand narrowboat prices reached their peak?

talltales

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, talltales said:

Imagine attempting to book passage through the Harecastle Tunnel on Elizabeth ;) Beautiful boat though. 

Or even passing under ANY of the accommodation bridges you get on canals like the Oxford, with all that gubbins on the roof.

13 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I knew that this would be posted, you beat me to it.

Sadly now sold on, no idea where it is now or if the piano is still aboard.  This was taken on its Middlewich mooring, a lovely old boat.

Yeah, was a lovely boat. 
I last saw it a few months past and it looked a sorrowful sight.

10 hours ago, talltales said:

Imagine attempting to book passage through the Harecastle Tunnel on Elizabeth ;) Beautiful boat though. 

I don't think Elizabeth is as tall as that photo makes her look. Here's a different perspective:

1397_ELIZABETH_4.jpg

• Greenie 1

On 01/10/2022 at 12:23, cuthound said:

She went past me, heading south on the Coventry in July. Haven't seen her since.

Elizabeth was also one of the boats listed as being at the Braunston gathering at the end of June.

I think she maybe now gets about a bit, and I've a feeling (but can't prove it!0 that she has attended other shows.

15 hours ago, talltales said:

I can't see it being a problem, as long as any masts, flags, tall chimneys etc are lai flat.

I don't think Elizabeth has a very big air draft.  I suspect that the deck board on a typical "large" Grand Union boat sits higher, and they certainly don't need the cratch dismantled to get through Harecastle.

Jonathan Wilson was saying that enquiries for new boats had gone down, so maybe that is an indication of things to come?

On Facebook widebeams seem to as expensive as they always have been with a rise in prices rather than going down. 

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Jonathan Wilson was saying that enquiries for new boats had gone down, so maybe that is an indication of things to come?

On Facebook widebeams seem to as expensive as they always have been with a rise in prices rather than going down. 

I think widebeams will maintain their value well. Many  people nowadays are moving onto boats to live rather than as a boating lifestyle. Widebeams are immeasureably better to live on than sewer tubes. Less cruising range but thats immaterial to many new boat owners.

• Greenie 1