Take your litter home

LadyG

Featured Posts

54 minutes ago, SLC said:

As a womble, we have found that installing litter bins reduces litter. You cannot trust people to take their litter home. Installing the bins and ensuring that they are emptied regularly by a waste collection contractor has improved the area around the Northampton Arm no end. My wife should take some credit for this noting the huge contribution / support from the local IWA It really boils down to desire of people to do this. I cannot stand the argument that people should take litter home, therefore there is no need to supply bins. (Chase parish councils and / or local councils)

However, it is not perfect as too many people place litter in bags at the foot of the bin and do not put it inside the bin. Dogs, cats, foxes, vermin all distribute it over the locality assisted by the wind. A local takeaway did this.....

In our marina I am still saddened by people who either dump their rubbish at the foot of the bin or significantly overfill one bin when there is another one (or 2) that is (are) half empty literally next door! What is the mentality of these people?

This was CRT's argument some years back and they started removing canal side bins, now they are installing dozens of them

Wasn’t there some research that demonstrated more litter in the area around the bins (apart from that in the bin of course) something to do with chucking at rather than in the bin as well as gusts of wind blowing it out. 

there is no excuse other than occasional falling from a pocket when getting something else out or the wind catching it. 

I hate litter and this country is awful for it. Tied on a mooring/ picnic area in France a couple of years ago when a car load of noisy, irritating young people turned up, horrible loud music, beer cans, crisp packets and stuff everywhere, could have strangled them. Next morning got up early to take the dog out, all tidied up nicely and the litter in the bin. Now its not always like that but generally speaking most countries don't treat their surroundings with such contempt as we do. (Mind you, French dog owners are not great at picking up after Fido and fag ends are all over the place)

2 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Not wishing to be the bearer of bad news but are you aware of what might have previously been in those bottles?(it is a regular practice of lorry drivers):sick:. On the other hand I'm reliably advised that such fluid is in fact sterile:)

That is a danger of working roadside with a strimmer

2 hours ago, Bee said:

I hate litter and this country is awful for it. Tied on a mooring/ picnic area in France a couple of years ago when a car load of noisy, irritating young people turned up, horrible loud music, beer cans, crisp packets and stuff everywhere, could have strangled them. Next morning got up early to take the dog out, all tidied up nicely and the litter in the bin. Now its not always like that but generally speaking most countries don't treat their surroundings with such contempt as we do. (Mind you, French dog owners are not great at picking up after Fido and fag ends are all over the place)

I found exactly the same up the Weaver

18 hours ago, DShK said:

Question from someone who aims to be a responsible CC'er - What do people do with their dog poo? When I know I'm heading back to the marina, I pick it for the bins. When Ive picked it up not knowing when the next disposable point is, it stinks on bags on my roof.  Better solutions at all?

We have a Tupperware container that we put filled poo bags in until we reach a bin.

It is left on the roof when in use. I have had various things stolen off the roof over the years but strangely no one has ever taken the Tupperware container... 🧐😅

Edited by cuthound
Missing worm

7 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Not wishing to be the bearer of bad news but are you aware of what might have previously been in those bottles?(it is a regular practice of lorry drivers):sick:. On the other hand I'm reliably advised that such fluid is in fact sterile:)

I'm quite certain such secondary uses are not, in fact, sterile.

However, since they were merely used for carrying coolant it probably doesn't matter very much.