How do I frame these windows

Featured Posts

Hi all, 

The boat came with these windows already in but nothing surrounding them. There's also no batons around the window. 

I'm wondering how to frame these windows. As you can see, there's a recess of about 30x30mm but that obviously is much shorter, maybe about 30x15mm when you factor in the brackets holding the window itself in. 

Initial thoughts are to create a wooden frame, say with 15 x 15mm square batons and sort of slot it in and glue it, pretty much to the brackets. Maybe fill the recess behind it with spray foam? I have a feeling it won't work out as neatly as that and in some places 15mm will fit and in others it won't... 

Any ideas welcome!! 

IMG_20220815_125152.jpg

IMG_20220815_125145.jpg

IMG_20220815_125139.jpg

IMG_20220815_125134.jpg

FWIW, I think that you may have to make up some L section batten so the thinner leg of the L fits over what looks like the steel box section and meets the edge of the cabin lining. and the wide section fills the gap between the box section and the frame. If you make the section to fit the largest size you  can then fettle each run to fit. Personally I think the window fitting is a bodge job.

I think that I would be very tempted to do away with the clips and drill the frame so it is secured by (self tapper?) screws through the cabin side and into the wooden L section. The screws would secure it and minimise any gaps between the wood and cabin side.

45 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

FWIW, I think that you may have to make up some L section batten so the thinner leg of the L fits over what looks like the steel box section and meets the edge of the cabin lining. and the wide section fills the gap between the box section and the frame. If you make the section to fit the largest size you  can then fettle each run to fit. Personally I think the window fitting is a bodge job.

I think that I would be very tempted to do away with the clips and drill the frame so it is secured by (self tapper?) screws through the cabin side and into the wooden L section. The screws would secure it and minimise any gaps between the wood and cabin side.

Thank you for this suggestion. Yeah I had the same thought about making an L section too. Seems sensible. I think we're pulling off all the ply anyway and going with tongue and groove so I can do some sort of attachment then I reckon, as, as you say, the gaps around the steel box section and the ply are huge, guess because there's no batons there. 

I wondered if the windows were a bodge job, they seem odd. They don't leak though so that is something!! The ply is a bodge job too, think the floor might be as well... Lots to do! 

43 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You seem to have had several issues with your 'new boat' from windows to water tanks, via Sliding hatches.

Is this in fact a new boat you have bought as a 'hull only' or a stripped out old boat your are rebuilding ?

Yep you are correct. We bought a stripped out 70ft. No rooms, just a big open space. Someone has previously done the expanding foam and then badly lined with ply, and also lined the floor with thicker ply, not marine, and put lino over that. Throughout the whole boat. We've also got dodgy electrical wiring that I think needs pulling out and starting again, a gas line that is too narrow for us, and some plumbing pipes have been put under the gunnels. And a morso that's rusted and falling apart. 

So it's like some things have been thought about and started, but the order in which it's been done is strange. We'll obviously be pulling up the floor to do a bathroom etc. 

We're also living in it, so trying to do section by section. 

I think I'll have many more questions... 

16 minutes ago, SweetPromise said:

I wondered if the windows were a bodge job, they seem odd.

Nowadays, clamp in windows are fairly common. Without seeing a full window photo it is hard to see what you have got but you can get GRP wood effect trims that can hide the clip area. However, they seem to be for bottom corner radiused windows.

PS, I don't like the look of the deep rust pot marks on the cabin side and box section.

Edited by Tony Brooks

13 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

T&G is very last century, are you painting it white?   Stained; it gets darker year by year.  Oh, are are you going plastic?

Our actual thought was to use pallet wood, cut into strips and attached vertically. So not really tongue and groove, I just lack the technical words I think! Sanded and painted. Not sure on colour. Yeah our old boat had a very bodge, old tongue and groove job, very dark. The boat was so dark inside. Didn't like it at all. Perhaps it had been getting darker and darker every year! 

Plastic as in laminate? 

1 minute ago, SweetPromise said:

Our actual thought was to use pallet wood, cut into strips and attached vertically. So not really tongue and groove, I just lack the technical words I think! Sanded and painted. Not sure on colour. Yeah our old boat had a very bodge, old tongue and groove job, very dark. The boat was so dark inside. Didn't like it at all. Perhaps it had been getting darker and darker every year! 

Plastic as in laminate? 

Plastic T&G as wall cladding.

Are you aware that pallet wood is treated with some quite noxious chemicals? It is very low grade and variable in size and quality.

34 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Stained; it gets darker year by year. 

Point of Order M'lud....

UNstained it also gets darker, year by year too.

I think it reaches peak attractiveness at about 15 years. After that it is too dark and needs painting pale cream, which always makes it look very boaty.

Edited by MtB
Add a bit.

24 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Nowadays, clamp in windows are fairly common. Without seeing a full window photo it is hard to see what you have got but you can get GRP wood effect trims that can hide the clip area. However, they seem to be for bottom corner radiused windows.

PS, I don't like the look of the deep rust pot marks on the cabin side and box section.

The glare on the window is making it difficult to get a decent photo but this is what we have. So bigger versions of this bathroom window, but all the same style. 

Ah yes, the rust is very present. Thank you. When I take off the ply I'll be sorting that out. I've been treating rust with Fertan but someone else suggested vactan too, so I'm hopefully doing the right rust treatments. 

IMG_20220815_181836.jpg

15 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Plastic T&G as wall cladding.

Are you aware that pallet wood is treated with some quite noxious chemicals? It is very low grade and variable in size and quality.

Yes it's a good point. Heat treated, as I understand it, is the stuff you want, but of course trying to find enough of this, as well as the same sizes etc, may take some time. 

20 minutes ago, SweetPromise said:

The glare on the window is making it difficult to get a decent photo but this is what we have. So bigger versions of this bathroom window, but all the same style. 

Ah yes, the rust is very present. Thank you. When I take off the ply I'll be sorting that out. I've been treating rust with Fertan but someone else suggested vactan too, so I'm hopefully doing the right rust treatments. 

I have not seen any window liners for that style window, but that does not mean they are not available. I suspect the price may be a bit rich for you though. I think that you could drill the plastic clips to the  side and use self-tapping screws to hold the trim pieces  in place.

If they don’t leak then don’t bu&&er about with them! Whatever framing you make, make it removable so you can get at the clamps in future, and insulate round the windows properly or you will get condensation on the steel (and worry that they are leaking).