How cheap?

Supermalc

Featured Posts

I don't have to.........ecomomics don't work.

Do you honestly believe it is right and proper for half the worlds population to be starving, when the other half is overfed......simply because we base our society on money.

And I'm NOT the author of that statement.

Yes dear boy. "Qu'ils mangent de la brioche"

Edited by chris w

Exactly Chris

How to fix our overpopulation.......60% (or so) of pregnancies are unwanted.......a simple solution is just around the corner. We just have to grasp the nettle. (see other thread)

where did you get that statistic from? is this based on global pregnancies or just in the uk?

A more responsible attitude to pregnancy would certainly help.

I seem to remember that Kerala, a communist state in India, where there was a very high standard of education and literacy (much higher than we have in the UK), was the first part of the sub-continent to achieve zero population growth. Maybe we could learn some lessons and apply them in Britain!

The sad aspect is that it may be inferred that maximum population growth occurs within the groups least well-equipped to bring up their offspring.

Edited by chris polley

Now that house prices are coming down (todays papers) I wonder how long it will be before the cost of narrowboats drop. Some experts believe house prices will settle around 80% of their current value (over value) the middle of next year.

Yeah Yeah

and some experts still believe in Father Christmas.

To get back on topic for a while:- :cheers:

I agree with Malc every day there are more and more boats coming on to the main sales sites with “reduced prices”. How long before the panic selling starts? and prices really tumble ?.

Speaking as one who is going to buy another boat in the near future, I would not consider spending my hard earned cash on another boat if it meant loosing my house “sorry we have to call them homes these days”, or putting my family though any hardship.

The appalling summer we have had (or was it a just a practise for this winter?) with all the floods and boats being sunk ( another one yesterday) and washed aground, being displayed on every news bulletin thought the land, does not help with peoples confidence in the boating market and as Malc says interest rates are rising, so loans and credit is costing more, in fact everything is costing more eg milk and bread, and people like us don’t have a bottomless pit of money, and something will have to give, which for a lot of people it will be the “luxury items” cars, boats, etc that have to be sold and I for one would loose my mobility without a car so that’s not going !

Better stop before I talk myself out of another boat and give up on 45 years of boat ownership (a mere amateur). :lol:

To get back on topic for a while:- :D

I agree with Malc every day there are more and more boats coming on to the main sales sites with "reduced prices". How long before the panic selling starts? and prices really tumble ?.

Speaking as one who is going to buy another boat in the near future, I would not consider spending my hard earned cash on another boat if it meant loosing my house "sorry we have to call them homes these days", or putting my family though any hardship.

The appalling summer we have had (or was it a just a practise for this winter?) with all the floods and boats being sunk ( another one yesterday) and washed aground, being displayed on every news bulletin thought the land, does not help with peoples confidence in the boating market and as Malc says interest rates are rising, so loans and credit is costing more, in fact everything is costing more eg milk and bread, and people like us don't have a bottomless pit of money, and something will have to give, which for a lot of people it will be the "luxury items" cars, boats, etc that have to be sold and I for one would loose my mobility without a car so that's not going !

Better stop before I talk myself out of another boat and give up on 45 years of boat ownership (a mere amateur). :wub:

What was I saying a few days ago........Oh yes, so who still disagrees now........

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7118336.stm

You are correct of course Chris ......... only there isn't an acute housing shortage. There are too many people, and too many empty houses. Plus many people now own more than one.

If these three things were properly addressed, there would be no need to concrete over what's left of our countryside, plus houses would be affordable.

We seem to have, in this beautiful yet flawed country of ours a phobia about renting property. I will not go into the pros and cons of the two ways of having a roof over your head,but has not a lot of this problem been caused by the mass sell off of council owned rented property? People who would have been happy to live in such property are now not able to do so. When Iwas younger (ok a lot younger) I knew lots of people who lived in council/private rented property no stigma was attached and a sense of community was a reality not something to aim for!

We seem to have, in this beautiful yet flawed country of ours a phobia about renting property. I will not go into the pros and cons of the two ways of having a roof over your head,but has not a lot of this problem been caused by the mass sell off of council owned rented property? People who would have been happy to live in such property are now not able to do so. When Iwas younger (ok a lot younger) I knew lots of people who lived in council/private rented property no stigma was attached and a sense of community was a reality not something to aim for!

No, I don't think it's the mass sell-off of council houses. It's the simple economic fact that purchasing a house is capex whereas renting a house is opex. Renting costs around the same as a mortgage anyway and, with a purchase, there is scope for capital appreciation. Although there is an occasional blip which lasts a year or two, over the longer term, property is a sound investment.

In fact the rental market has been very bouyant as is evidenced by the huge number of buy-to-let properties. If the market were not bouyant then this would not look attractive.

Chris

Well, if we're talking about the South East where you've got to tread on other people just to get to the shops; can't park, can't drive, can't get anywhere without major effort, as opposed to the Wigan that's in a stone's throw of some of our finest countryside, excellent boating and sociable people ---- count me in for Wigan !

Mike.

Well, if we're talking about the South East where you've got to tread on other people just to get to the shops; can't park, can't drive, can't get anywhere without major effort, as opposed to the Wigan that's in a stone's throw of some of our finest countryside, excellent boating and sociable people ---- count me in for Wigan !

Mike.

And where can you get a decent black pudding, in the south east?